jump.tf Forums
Welcome B)

Rocket Jump Tutorial

Dukezilent

• Frags: +0/-0
    • View Profile

Hello everyone, hope y'all are having a great day.
I am very much thrilled to finally reveal to the community what I have been working on for the past few months. This rocket jumping tutorial series is a personal project of mine that I've wanted to do for a very long time. I've been working on another project, the revamped tier list which will be serving as an integral part of this project. You can check it out here: https://jump.tf/forum/index.php/topic,2786.0.html
It might be worth noting that I also don't have any prior editing experience, so please understand that there is no way for me to achieve the insane level of quality channels like TF2RJWeekly do.

Aside from introducing my series to everyone active on the forums, I also wanted to take this opportunity to answer the questions that I believe will be asked sooner or later. If you want to learn more about me and this project in general, please take the time to read the QnA section.

Q. Why and how did you decide to start this whole thing?
A. I've always been very passionate about teaching throughout my life. To me, teaching means using your expertise in a certain field to help others who are struggling to not only better understand it, but also potentially develop an interest as well. Outside of gaming and internet, I have a lot of experience in tutoring and teaching, and consequently, this has become something I would love to purse as a career in the future. When Jump Academy first came to be, I always went on the dedicated servers and tried to help as many people as I could. However, over time I realized a critical flaw in the system. Since I never was an official teacher at JA, some of the people who asked for help simply ignored me and instead wanted the official teachers to help them. Although I wasn't too bothered by it at the beginning, I ended up having to repeat myself more than I preferred due to the issue I just stated and how most people were struggling with the same thing like wallpogoes. This led to me losing interest, and I promptly stopped trying to help people. Eventually, I started to consider making a tutorial series on rocket jumping. It seemed like a reasonable thing to do since if all I had to do was telling people to go and watch the darn thing, I wouldn't have to repeat myself as much, and if I get somewhat known in the community as a result, I might even have an easier time interacting with the people who are actively seeking for some extra help. This is how the project came to be.

Q. There already are tons of great tutorial videos on youtube. Why couldn't we just keep referring to those instead?
A. While I would say you are right about there being a lot of vidoes that cover rocket jumping, I would argue that they could be better. Everyone learns at a different pace and rate. Some people just need a bit more patience and explanation to get certain things down while others dont. There is absolutely nothing wrong nor right with both. It is simply how their brain is wired. There definitely are some good tutorial vidoes out there, but most don't thoroughly cover every mechanic there is to learn for rocket jumping (to clarify, I dont intend to cover literally everything; just the techniques and mechanics that get used most frequently and are deemed useful by the community standards) My teaching philosphy always has been if the teacher is able to break even the most complicated concept down to the most fundamental level and the student makes a tremendous effort to understand it by slowly taking small steps, any person will have a chance at grasping the concept. Furthermore, some videos are capped at 24fps and that genuinely hurts my eyes :( I also want to cover more advanced techniques that most don't go over such as quint syncs and corner wallpogoes. I will also be creating Korean subtitles for all my vidoes of the series. In the Korean community, there is not a single rocket jumping tutorial video out there, so I've always been wanting to make tutorial vidoes for my fellow Koreans.

Q. Why did you go the extra mile to create your own map list? Seems pretty pointless to me.
A. Some of you might not have experienced this, but some players, especially beginners, have a tendency to just play on the same map mostly because they are not sure which others maps to choose. Grinding one single map for hours upon hours isn't really the best way to improve as a jumper. There are so many jump maps out there that finding the right map alone might be a daunting task for some. Having a lot of options are good, but having too many can have the negative effect. By making my map list readily available to anyone that watches my videos, I aim to encourage people, esepcially new jumpers, to practice more on different maps to hone their techniques.

Q. What about the new tier system that the community has been working on?
A. To be brutally honest, I can't say I am fond of the new system. This is mostly due to the fact that making new tiers might cause some unnecessary confusion. It would be better to create subcategories for the tiers we already have. Tiers have been a thing for far too long and it is a bit late to introduce an entirely new system. However, this is by no means I hate the new system. In fact, I am mighty glad that the community is finally stepping up to eradicate the annoying problems with our current system. If the new system ever gets released to the public, I am planning on posting the links to it in the description of my videos.

Q. If you want to make a tutorial series for the Koreans, why not just make the entire video in Korean?
A. As I mentioned already, I strongly believe that most tutorial videos on youtube could be improved. Therefore, I also wanted to make the series available for english speakers. English is a universal language, so I can reach a broader audience with it.

Q. What video editing program did you use to make your vidoes and why?
A. I use Hitfilm Express because I didn't feel like pirating paid ones. I'm also broke.

Q. I feel like you failed to explain something important.
A. That's great! I've been working on this project by myself because I can't really ask my friends for help, so I've been dying to hear other people's opinions ever since I started working on this project. I want to make this series as good as possible and I am afraid the lack of feedbacks wouldn't let me achieve that goal. If you could leave a comment specifying what I left out, I would highly appreciate it!!!

Q. My question hasn't been answered in this QnA section :(
A. Please leave the question in the forum page or the comment section of one of my videos. I will try to get back to you asap.

Current status of the project: 25% of the videos are complete

Part 0: Introduction COMPLETE

Part 1:
   Episode 1: Regular Rocket Jump COMPLETE
   Episode 2: Wallclimbs & Wallshots COMPLETE
   Episode 3: Regular Pogos  & Wall Pogoes INCOMPLETE
   Episode 4: ??
   Episode 5: ??
   Episode 6: ??

Part 2:
   Episode 1: ??
   Episode 2: ??
   Episode 3: ??
   Episode 4: ??
   Episode 5: ??
   Episode 6: ??

Part 3:
   Episode 1: ?? COMPLETE
   Episode 2: ?? COMPLETE
   Episode 3: ??
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 08:20:55 PM by Dukezilent »

Dr. Heinz

• needs to stop posting
  • Relax.
    • View Profile

Dukezilent

• View Profile
Hello everyone, I'm finally back to making videos again. To speed up the progress, I'm asking for map recommendations. I will need to use a bunch of maps for my 'regular pogo  & wall pogo' video and if you know any easy beginner maps that are great for learning these two things, please list them in the forum.

Examples of jumps I need:
Ramp pogo
https://gfycat.com/exemplarybruisedleafwing
https://gfycat.com/shinycourageousalaskanhusky

Wallpogo (I also need vertical ones where you just go up)
https://gfycat.com/cooperativeacceptableermine

Speedpogo (any pogo jumps that make you gain a lot of speed will do)
https://gfycat.com/meagersinfulgoat

Stair pogo?
https://gfycat.com/sadenormousegret

+ Any easy and simple pogo jumps
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 10:38:31 AM by Dukezilent »

LJ

• View Profile
I think jump_deserted has basically all of the things you're looking for.