jump.tf Forums
Welcome B)

Tempus Echo Jump Server with < Rank 250 Restriction?

Traynard Hraven

• Frags: +0/-0
    • View Profile
I was just wondering if the restriction to this server could be removed. This restriction wasn't there up until a few months ago, and given that this is the only server with access to ALL the jump maps, it was a really convenient way to grind through maps and find new interesting maps without constantly jumping between 2 servers. Does anyone know why the restriction was placed in the first place, and who I need to talk to get it removed?

donuttt

• Intermediate
  • hehe
    • View Profile
restrictions are usually put in place to allow high octane jumpers to grind maps without lower skilled jumpers complaining/RTVing.

adding the restrictions was quite controversial but most people got used to them by now, its obviously unfortunate in your case

scotch

• Administrator
  • Proficient
    • View Profile
I was just wondering if the restriction to this server could be removed. This restriction wasn't there up until a few months ago, and given that this is the only server with access to ALL the jump maps, it was a really convenient way to grind through maps and find new interesting maps without constantly jumping between 2 servers. Does anyone know why the restriction was placed in the first place, and who I need to talk to get it removed?
The server was changed as requested by the host, but perhaps the restriction can be raised to accomodate more west players

Syro

The server was changed as requested by the host, but perhaps the restriction can be raised to accomodate more west players

As the owner, I'd honestly be ok with putting the rank limit at 400

Traynard Hraven

• View Profile
Thanks for implementing the change Syro, really awesome.

However, given that I'm only a soldier rank of 898 or overall rank of 1186 (I'm not sure which one the server uses for restrictions), it doesn't really do anything, and I'm left with the original dilemma. If you are dead set on keeping a restriction lock, maybe there is another way around this?

Klowwd

• Proficient
    • View Profile
It'll take a while but grinding maps can get you up there. Do all t2s and lower and work on some t3s and 4s and you'll be good.

Traynard Hraven

• View Profile
Yeah that's what I've been doing, but these maps are distributed between servers for some reason. Generally, I hit the incomplete tab in the server commands to see which maps I have to complete, but when I do a nominate command, I can't find the maps within the map browser, hence the reason I'm posting about the Echo server, that has *all* the maps. I've done most of the maps that are on heavy rotation in the beginning/medium server, and I'm not quite up to the level of some of the maps that are run in advanced, so I'm kind of stuck in the middle.

I'm not saying that it's impossible, I'm just saying that it's not very efficient right now and there are a lot of extra steps for no particular reason.

vov&sons

• bruh
    • View Profile
   You don't have to find a map using the nominate command, you can just type !nom <mapname> and it'll automatically nominate whichever map you want. I don't know if you knew that but judging from how you describe yourself nominating maps you didn't.

If a map is not on the beginner server then it definitely is on the advanced server and vice versa. Instead of jumping from server to server you could just do all the beginner server maps and then move on to advanced. It's also likely that by the time you finish all the beginner maps you'll be able to play on Echo anyways.

By getting rid of the restriction you're taking your feeling of inconvenience and transferring it unto others since the regulars on that server sometimes like to play their own maps just as much as you do. More often than not, lower-ranked jumpers nominate whatever just to complete it and if the map is trash then it's not fun for anyone other than the low-rank on that server trying to beat it. So really the net effect of removing the restriction is zero, in my opinion.

From what I understand, the restriction on Echo jump was placed because random players would come in to play T2's for about 7 hours at a time for a month, not improve whatsoever, then disappear and never come back to the server again. Maybe this happens on other servers as well but it's just not as noticeable since Echo doesn't have a lot of regulars getting on daily.

newjuls

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
just remove the idea of beginner/adv servers its fucking stupid restricting some maps to some servers

HyperDan

• Advanced
  • Retired Jumper; 2014-2021
    • View Profile
just remove the idea of beginner/adv servers its fucking stupid restricting some maps to some servers

bUT thEN nEW jUMPERs wILL leAVE aFTER seEing hOW hARD a MAP IS

Klowwd

• Proficient
    • View Profile
I think the main idea behind it is so newer/less experienced players can have fun and have a solid chance of beating every map on the server. If they're thrown into t5s+ from the start they might not want to continue.

newjuls

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
I think the main idea behind it is so newer/less experienced players can have fun and have a solid chance of beating every map on the server. If they're thrown into t5s+ from the start they might not want to continue.

they can go fuck off to academy then

Boshy

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
there is no point having beginner/advanced servers when we have like 8 servers per region, they should all just be all maps