jump.tf Forums
Welcome B)

Momentum discord monitoring thread

Mac- · 15 · 1182

Mac-

• Intermediate
    • Frags: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Gonna post here some stuff I've read on the momentum discord so people can be in on the discussion.

- Full tutorial on jumping mechanics before playing regular maps.
- The engine bug that made bounces possible has been fixed, so a momentum specific entity will need to be used to make bounce jumps work. This means that all unintentional bounces on maps have been removed.
- Discussing speedo on or off (default is on in other momentum game modes, will most likely be separate leaderboards for off)
- Discussing allowing/banning third person (possibly separate leaderboards again)
- Allowing or banning prespeeding is being discussed, such as telesyncing the start of a map before the timer.
- Momentum specific entities; no friction triggers, setting tele hop direction with an entity and not map orientation, momentum cancelling tele destinations. .fgd file
- Strict mapping standards for maps that improve rankings. No meme maps.
- Potential cosmetic xp earned from bonuses/unintentional class runs. No rankings earned from doing bonuses, or demo maps on soldier and vice versa.
- Catapults are broken, rip gorge.
- Rocket jumping campaign with levels ranging from T1 to T4 (will need some volunteers to make some really solid maps when the time comes).
- Spray paint for marking floors/walls
- Edgebugs still work as normal.
- Can switch modes for left/right viewmodels (stock) or center viewmodels (original).
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 01:22:50 PM by Mac- »

Syro

I feel like if what they end up with is anything like you're describing, it won't really be jumping in the same way.

generic

• Novice
  • eh?
    • View Profile
part of their point is to take out clutter and start with a clean slate. I'm not opposed to this; jumping isn't perfect, especially to new players. refining it in a way that still has depth but maybe exclude superfluous and bloat mechanics is a cool opportunity. I don't really agree with everything they propose either but its a conversation. We aren't being left out here.

Also save for bounces a lot of what they are describing just seems like a different coat of paint, what do you mean?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 05:12:45 AM by generic »

Mac-

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
I feel like if what they end up with is anything like you're describing, it won't really be jumping in the same way.

I mean the only thing set in stone is that bounces are broken, but they are implementing workarounds. I made this thread so people can voice concerns, so if you have anything specific you don't like, go ahead.

All_Over_RS

separate leaderboards sounds like clutter, and whats the point of having no meme maps

Superchuck

• Proficient
  • y-you too
    • View Profile
separate leaderboards sounds like clutter, and whats the point of having no meme maps
The separate leaderboards would be a solution if we cannot come to a consensus for whether or not to allow speedo/tp.

As for no meme maps, momentum is a competitive speedrunning mod. It would not do well forcing people to speedrun 'cancer' maps. Tempus adds the majority of those maps because of the argument "well jump_<badmaphere> was added, why not jump_<badnewmaphere>". I like having a clean slate and having an actual quality control.
The Rat Master

LJ

• View Profile
Will speedshots, edgebugs and ctaps still work the same? Also will there still be a split between stock, original, cow mangler?

Klowwd

• Proficient
    • View Profile
I think edgebugs will be included because of how the source engine works, idk about the other two. But for rocket launcher, I believe they will be in different categories similar to how surfing has different modes (normal, w strafing, diagonal, backwards, etc). So a 1 hour stock run and a 1 hour original run will be in different categories for the same map.

Gorge004

• Proficient
    • View Profile
currently I believe edgebug were removed for bhop and surf, they're looking into adding a trigger to bring them back for us. ss and ctaps should be the same. currently they have centerfire and right/left fire mode all together like it is currently in tf2. Personnaly I don't think original would be as much of an advantage as it is in tf2 because 1) soldier runs on demo maps wouldn't count toward speedrun leaderboard and 2) we can choose wich maps gets added so idk if we would add all different wallpogo maps... Still we could separate them but I also dont like the idea of having 20 different leaderboards

Mac-

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Edgebugs are removed in modes with auto hop only. RJ edgebugs are still fine.

Speedshots work, but afaik the distances you get are slightly different.

Separate leaderboards are a last resort like chuck said. Ideally the only separate leaderboards will be for things like autohop + airaccel runs. Different launchers are in the same category.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 01:27:09 PM by Mac- »

Victor

• View Profile

Just to clarify, maps will go through an approval process before they are added as "official" maps for the ranks, ideally it would be a bit more formal than it is currently on tempus. You can still play whatever map you want by yourself, including adding a timer (similar to playing offline in tf2), it just won't be considered for regular points. That said, there are plans to add support for dedicated servers which would have their own localized leaderboards, you would be free to add whatever map you want there.

btw if people have questions or want to voice their opinions on something I'd really recommend joining the momentum discord so we can get a good idea of what people want for the gamemode

gibus

• Intermediate
  • MEDIC!
    • View Profile
    • Steam
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
˄˅

Shunix

• Intermediate
    • Frags: +2/-0
    • View Profile

good.

Mac-

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Them working somewhat already is pretty good. I'm sure with some more tweaking things can improve. It's nowhere near done.