Welcome B)

jump_kael

Finn91 · 19 · 1830

Finn91

• Intermediate
    • Frags: +3/-0
    • View Profile
Hi guys

First map of mine and first time I used Hammer, so this map might have many flaws

It is intended for Soldiers, I didn't care about Demo at all but I'm willing to make some changes if it's really needed, map is clearly doable as demo too
Not sure about the tier but I think it's pretty hard (it's T6)

There's some help with jumps into the map but I'll explain every intended strats, please tell me if you find cheat way, and feel free to provide feedback about spacing etc

9 jumps

jump 1 : skip, rampshot, wallshots, water sync
jump 2 : quint, ceiling smash > bhop, wallpogo
jump 3 : 6 rockets syncs, ceiling smash > bhop, rampsync, rampshot, climb
jump 4 : prefire 5 rockets at the redline, quint through portal, prefire 1, catch the 5 rockets, prefire another one, triple sync at top
jump 5 : double ss, surf/rampshot, wallsync
jump 6 : jump to ramp, skip, prefire 2 at wall, wallsync, prefire 4, wallsync
jump 7 : wallshot, catch on the wall (prefire 2 is the most consistent I guess), wallpogo (there's only one texture shootable), pogo and sync
jump 8 : prefire one, setup triple with reflector (idk how to call that), jump into wallsync, triple sync at end
jump 9 : prefire 2 to grate, setup triple wallsync (1  prefire before catapult, 1 after), jump to get back on the push, prefire 2, 6 rockets sync grate (prefire another while you're sliding to the grate), sync at end

DL link : https://www.mediafire.com/file/rngpbkk63p80mab/jump_kael_final3.bsp/file
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 08:04:43 AM by Finn91 »

mazlli

• Novice
    • Frags: +0/-0
  • i use left viewmodels
    • View Profile
map not compressed and owns my hard drive , if you're using CompilePal there should be an option to pack the map, but if not use this

While in-game type in console "bsp_repack "maps/<YOUR_MAP_NAME>.bsp" "maps/<YOUR_MAP_NAME>.bsp

Finn91

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Done, I edited the upload link !
What does it change except filesize btw ? (it's already insane, I was wondering why it was this big lmao thanks)

I've fixed the help text issue at jump 8 but didnt upload it yet. It's most likely possible that there are many lil things like that, just tell me
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 09:58:20 PM by Finn91 »

mazlli

• Novice
  • i use left viewmodels
    • View Profile
Its mostly filesize but any custom assets you use, like textures or models, would get "baked" into the bsp. If this is skipped the custom stuff you use would show up as errors or missing textures to other people. CompilePal automates this whenever you do your final compile to finish up a map, but its always a good idea to remember to compress even if its test versions.

mazlli

• Novice
  • i use left viewmodels
    • View Profile
Unfortunately I'm not a T6 jumper and cannot tell you any issues with spacing, what I can tell is that most of these jumps are very unclear as to what to do since there tend to be a lot of syncs and catches. Easy indicators are just adding like an "x5" or a "ceiling BHOP". Here's an imgur album with my feedback on things that might annoy people: https://imgur.com/a/OtrMpNf

Really loved the end of jump 8, I wanted to make a map around a theme like that...

riot

• Novice
    • Frags: +1/-0
    • View Profile
I respectfully request that all skyboxes be banished to the shadow realm

Finn91

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Unfortunately I'm not a T6 jumper and cannot tell you any issues with spacing, what I can tell is that most of these jumps are very unclear as to what to do since there tend to be a lot of syncs and catches. Easy indicators are just adding like an "x5" or a "ceiling BHOP". Here's an imgur album with my feedback on things that might annoy people: https://imgur.com/a/OtrMpNf

Really loved the end of jump 8, I wanted to make a map around a theme like that...

Thanks for the feedback !

I'll try to fix everything today, and make another jump to split jump 5

I respectfully request that all skyboxes be banished to the shadow realm

What's wrong with skyboxes ? :d

Finn91

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Updated download link

Lot of fixes according to the feedback by mazlli
Added instructions and arrows to help with the clarity of map
Some jumps changed

Jump 3 : just deleted the ceiling slope, I'm not 100% satisfied with this new version, maybe it's fine like that but feel free to suggests some idea for better transition
Jump 4 : "autoaim" as you spawn, blue lines are for respawn, just walk off and sync 
Jump 5 : End where you were teleported before, I'll probably use the 2nd part for another jump (bonus or in the actual course, Idk yet)
Jump 6 : Deleted the quint and changed the spacing but it's still akward, Idk how to fix that. Maybe I should just change the whole setup for the triple rampsync
Jump 8 : You can't jump anymore in first portal and strafe is a bit harder, added ground at the end to help with timing for the catch (Idk if it's really helpful but it seems easier with 2 textured landmark ground than with skybox only, maybe I could change textures tho)

I might have forgot some little things, so feel free to feedback for everything

Steve

• View Profile
Hey, Finn91.

First off, I really like this map. I enjoyed the jumps, playing it on stream, the meme/s and it was generally pretty nice.

I had a few fixes/judgments though, the biggest one being that there should not be a ceiling after the 6 rocket sync on the grate on last.
I get you want to ramp slide up the ramp and not just fly to the end but with the inclusion of the wall triple afterward, I don't think it's in good stead to make it punish you for hitting too good of a sync or for hitting it at the exact right angle.
Your map is about precision and I respect that, being precise is fine for 1 jump, but when you have 2 jumps linked I personally believe you need to be more forgiving else the map suffers from being "unfun".

I also ran through some other QOL changes on-stream, that I believe could help make the map "play" a lot better (notice I didn't say easier).
Here are the links to the highlights:
Map Changes/Tips: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/651447435
Last Change: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/651447437

I hope you elect to take my advice on board but if not you've still made a map with some solid jumps, so props to you.

Many thanks,
Steve.

Finn91

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Hey Steve,

I'm glad you enjoyed this map, it was a total discovery of Hammer and I'm kind of happy that the result isn't too bad.

I thank you for the feedback, I knew there were still issues but I kinda gave up fixing them. Not gonna lie but your message and watching you play my map motivate me a lot and I'll go back to it !
I never realized how the ceiling of last was annoying (I actually opened Hammer right after your post and was like "oh there is a ceiling here, oops") cuz I never bumped into it while testing. Should be an easy fix
 I'll watch the full playthrough and take notes about what fixing etc.

For #6 I actually did a total different jump, but it think i'll also try to fix the original one (new one should be ok, maybe minor fixes like ceiling or idk)

I also began to make changes for last (not including ceiling unfortunately, but it's easy to fix now you mentionned it).
I replaced the easy strafe jump with the wall triple so you can do many tries cuz it's the first part now, I just realize how evil this jump was and I think having the big grate sync as very last part is better. I'm still wondering about keeping the strafe part, and putting the wall triple in 2nd part, It would always be easy to go to this part to figure out the timing, instead of having this part after the grate sync.

Anyway thanks !

Finn91

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Edited DL link and how to do the jumps.

Changes made :

#2 - Removed the wallshot, raised the ceiling at very end of wallpogo, fixed one teleporter , added arrows at end (probably not really useful, idk)
#3 - Respaced the ending to be slightly easier, maybe not enough ?
#5 - Lowered a bit the ending for Vice, still tough
#6 - Fixed regen, extended water section, it might need other changes? (either changing the setup for the rampsync or split the jump in two jumps)
#8 - New jump that was meant to replace #6, everything should be ok
#9 - Replaced the first easy room with former last room, fixed the ceiling for the ramp sync and extended the skybox all around the ramp (I'm still not sure if it's better like that), last teleporter need a pretty good catch, it is maybe too hard, let me know

That's it for the moment, again tell me for anything that cross your mind that could improve the map !
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 02:58:11 PM by Finn91 »

vice

• Intermediate
  • im shit at jumping
    • View Profile
Edited DL link and how to do the jumps.

Changes made :

#2 - Removed the wallshot, raised the ceiling at very end of wallpogo, fixed one teleporter , added arrows at end (probably not really useful, idk)
#3 - Respaced the ending to be slightly easier, maybe not enough ?
#5 - Lowered a bit the ending for Vice, still tough
#6 - Fixed regen, extended water section, it might need other changes? (either changing the setup for the rampsync or split the jump in two jumps)
#8 - New jump that was meant to replace #6, everything should be ok
#9 - Replaced the first easy room with former last room, fixed the ceiling for the ramp sync and extended the skybox all around the ramp (I'm still not sure if it's better like that), last teleporter need a pretty good catch, it is maybe too hard, let me know

That's it for the moment, again tell me for anything that cross your mind that could improve the map !
oh did u watch my vod as well? epic then

Finn91

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Nope sadly, I'll take a look !

I just noticed what you said about jump 5 on Steve's chat haha
I just did and saw you had some troubles with jump 5 haha, but when I see Steve just first try it I think spacing was alright, just a bit easier now so it is fine
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 04:15:30 PM by Finn91 »

Finn91

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Edited DL link and jump description

Changes :

#4 - Raised the very end a bit to avoid that ctap double is enough
#6 - Changed the whole first part, everything should be ok. Raised a bit the last room's ceiling

As always tell me everything that could be improve, there will not be major changes anymore (I hope)

Steve

• View Profile
Jump 6 - Add nonade just infront of the start to avoid people tele-syncing to wall quad. Take care not to add the nonade too close to the wallshot off the wall, otherwise it makes it annoying for someone shooting off.
Jump 8 - Raise ending by at least 5-6 blocks of the texture on the wall you're using. Then add nonnade0 halfway up the end wall, so you cant resync OR make it 3-4 blocks higher ontop of the 5-6 and allow resyncs/ctap triples.

Add: Jump 1 - [description of jump] to game_texts throughout the map :)

Everything else I LOVE <3

Gj man.