Welcome B)

Website Map List Project

Rokio · 31 · 26950

Rokio

• Administrator
  • Proficient
    • Frags: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Ok, we've been working on this for a while.  (Huge thanks to Torii).  We've added videos for like 90% of the maps when we could find them.  If you can find a jump-through or run for any of the maps that don't have one on our list, or if you make one please post it in this thread. When there were multiple good quality videos for a map, I generally chose the one that was most like a walkthrough with jumps as intended vs. a speedrun with lots of strats.  I think that's more noob-friendly.  Treynolds videos are mostly pretty ideal examples of what I'd be looking for; but any full run is better than nothing.

As far as screenshots, that's going to require an even bigger effort.  Haven't really gotten too far into that yet. If people want to contribute, I think it would be best to get zip files with .jpg screenshots for each map. You can post links to those here as well, or add me.  I would like to have 4-5+ shots for each map that give a good feel for it.   Statyk's example images in this post will give you a good idea of the type of thing we'd be looking for.

The current working map list:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LcGfNOfIxFF21I5KWSCM0kEu4X4A9W3ngWFouprGJuo/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks to everyone who has helped so far with the list, downloads, and videos/screenshots.  This should be really cool when it's all done.

Original Post:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 04:02:31 AM by Rokio »

DysFunction

• Frags: +0/-0
    • View Profile
I'd rather see this on the site than people having to navigate to the map list thread in the forum. It would really add to the site as a whole. I see people ask about getting into jumping or asking where to DL some certain map on reddit from time to time so I'd rather point them to the website and be able to tell them to click Map List at the top and they can find all of the map information.

I'd be willing to take some screenshots and possibly some videos of some maps to help out. I'm not much for speedrunning but I could definitely record a standard play through if needed. I say at least get the list of maps ordered by class/difficulty and some download links up for now and then maybe we can all volunteer to pitch in to get the rest of the info added for each map. Maybe make a forum thread with a list of the maps and somehow highlight the ones that need screenshots, videos, etc. Then we can post on there and volunteer for a map that we are willing to take screenshots, videos, play through, etc. so that a moderator can mark the map as being worked on. That way there isn't more than 1 person working on a map at the same time and wasting their time.

Oatmeal

• Proficient
    • View Profile
Sounds awesome. How do we decide which maps are 'decent' though? Also most maps are all over the place with their difficulty, it might be hard to put them in those categories without considering their particular courses individually.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 10:45:41 AM by Oatmeal »

Dr. Heinz

• needs to stop posting
  • Relax.
    • View Profile
What you set up in the screenshot look pretty good, with the video, screenshots and dl. I think that's all it really need. Only thing is that some maps need to show up in multiple categories, so, both demo and soldier (jump_embrace for example) and also the difficulty (jump_BAQu_a2).

Rokio

• Administrator
  • Proficient
    • View Profile
Good idea.  These are some things I would include:

- sort by class and difficulty
  - more specific difficulty rating (x/10) (might be too many maps for this to be valid)
  - video of the map
  - creator
  - download (duh)
  - list of techniques used it time permits; this would take a long time but give people a better idea of what they're getting into.  some might find this stupid and useles
  - decsription
  - top times
  - servers currently running the map

All this would probably be a lot of work but it would be worth it if it turns out well.

So I think we will do all this.  The list of techniques is an issue I've though of, and one that can potentially tie into the difficulty ranking system, if we can come up with a solid one. More on that below.

Sounds awesome. How do we decide which maps are 'decent' though? Also most maps are all over the place with their difficulty, it might be hard to put them in those categories without considering their particular courses individually.

I've talked to the guys who are working on the new jump timer, and I think we'll go with the list of 165ish maps that they will have zoned for the plugin to start with.  Each map and each course (if applicable) will have a difficulty tier assigned, from 1-6 i think it is atm.  We could also potentially have difficulty ranges for each of those as well. So like, Ayers2 could be like Tier1-Tier4 or something. 4Starters Course 1 could be Tier1-Tier2, etc.

The map difficulty ranking question is one that I think can be more or less satisfactorily solved if we put enough thought and effort into it.  Right now it seems like most rankings we have are sort of arbitrary and subjective, although we can probably agree on a majority of them. 

One idea would be to look at the commonalities of maps we generally agree are in each tier, and state the techniques like Pandora does for song elements. So for example, Tier1 would include: Single rocket vertical jumps, small horizontal gap jumps, limited horizontal pogo, single rocket wall shots, etc. Tier 2: Multi rocket vertical jumps, medium horizontal gap jumps, moderate horizontal pogo, multi-rocket single-wall shots. etc.

I'm sure there would be some debate on which things belong in which Tier, but once we more or less sorted it out, I think it would be pretty easy to determine the difficulty range for each map & course by just looking at the jumps, and then we could also pull that technique data into the map information to show people what to expect.

Anyway, that's just one idea for ranking difficulty, and I think it would be nice to have some kind of semi-objective system for doing it.

I'd be willing to take some screenshots and possibly some videos of some maps to help out. I'm not much for speedrunning but I could definitely record a standard play through if needed. I say at least get the list of maps ordered by class/difficulty and some download links up for now and then maybe we can all volunteer to pitch in to get the rest of the info added for each map. Maybe make a forum thread with a list of the maps and somehow highlight the ones that need screenshots, videos, etc. Then we can post on there and volunteer for a map that we are willing to take screenshots, videos, play through, etc. so that a moderator can mark the map as being worked on. That way there isn't more than 1 person working on a map at the same time and wasting their time.

Thanks, that's definitely a good idea.  I did realize that there are already screenshots for a lot of the maps on gamebanana, and runs for a good amount of the maps on youtube, so that would make it a little easier.  I will make a working thread for the maps once I get a full list together and find out which ones I still need stuff for.

Rokio

• Administrator
  • Proficient
    • View Profile
What you set up in the screenshot look pretty good, with the video, screenshots and dl. I think that's all it really need.
Yeah I think those are the basics, but if I'm going to be tying in to the jump timer to pull times, I might as well pull other stuff as well at that point.  That will be down the line a little ways.

Only thing is that some maps need to show up in multiple categories, so, both demo and soldier (jump_embrace for example) and also the difficulty (jump_BAQu_a2).

This is another issue.  I'm not quite sure what the best way to do this would be, since most soldier maps can be done by demo, and many demo maps can be done by soldier (if very tediously). So probably we'll mainly list the maps by the primary intended class, and have a tag or something for the ones that are impossible with the other class.  Maybe have a third category, along with soldier-specific maps and demo-specific maps, for like multiclass-maps which could include the few maps that have different courses intended for soldiers and demos and maybe throw open/trick jump maps in there as well.  I don't know.

Tsmuji

• View Profile
There's the list of maps ranked in order of speedrunning difficulty that glow made on the old forums. A few maps like rook would be out of place for general difficulty but it would be a decent place to start from.

Rokio

• Administrator
  • Proficient
    • View Profile
There's the list of maps ranked in order of speedrunning difficulty that glow made on the old forums. A few maps like rook would be out of place for general difficulty but it would be a decent place to start from.

Yeah, I think that list was taken into account, but I think we are looking at rating not only full maps but also each course and bonus of maps that have them, and I'm wondering what the best way to display that would be in a categorized map list.

Like 4starters for example, starts off very easy, and gets into the intermediate-hard levels in the later courses.  So should that be displayed in the easy section? Should the maps' difficulties be averaged?  Or should we somehow display just the courses and maps that are actually easy when someone searches for easy maps, so 4starters would show up in multiple difficulty categories but would only display (or maybe highlight) the courses that are appropriate for the difficulty searched?

I don't know, it's a little tricky, but I would like to have it planned out in advance and make it pretty user friendly for people who don't know the maps.

Rokio

• Administrator
  • Proficient
    • View Profile
Updated original post with progress and current map list document.

RNC1839

• Proficient
    • View Profile
I'm willing to help with making a few videos. Whenever i get back to a computer I'll get on that.

Dr. Heinz

• needs to stop posting
  • Relax.
    • View Profile
difference between littleman v3 and v4 is also the ice texture at the end of jumps, v4 does not have it, which makes it infinitely better
A dl of jump_tower btw: http://www.mediafire.com/download/r72b6dj2p7fyam1/jump_tower.bsp
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 12:18:34 PM by Dr. Heinz »

Rokio

• Administrator
  • Proficient
    • View Profile

CrancK

• View Profile
list is missing the single spymap ever made for tf2 ^^

oh and all those concmaps with a1p or b1p thingy, i converted to tf2 from tfc, with thanks to Renegade, they might have missing texture problems tho... i still need to repack m (still... x years later he says... :D )

and.... conc_Aggregate is doable by both solly and demo
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 03:11:52 AM by CrancK »

sitood

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Jump_sheer_final is also missing.

and some vids for the list
Code: [Select]
Mirrorsedge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffpUh8jmW7Q
Carrot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq8fILghGRQ
Endurance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T2EIYUb1vs
Lion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNr2dnXMWdA

I'm willing to help making screenshots for the list if its still needed.

RNC1839

• Proficient
    • View Profile
If anyone wants to make a video for jump_rnc_a1, don't bother I'll be making a video for a3 when I release it.