jump.tf Forums
Welcome B)

Beginnings 2014?

Afterglow

• Intermediate
    • Frags: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Hey,

So I plan on a Beginnings 2014. But I need some help to accomplish it. I haven't yet talked to any map makers. This time around it'll be quite a bit different I think. I'm open to any suggestions or changes. Here are my plans:

1. 3 weeks long
2. 3 soldier maps, 3 demo maps (easy, intermediate, hard) all released at once (the weekend of JOTW/ROTW #104 marking the 2nd anniversy of tf2rjweekly, which is approximately in 4 months). I plan on the maps being not totally drastically different in difficulty. That is, the easy map won't be super easy and the hard map won't be super hard (Think eons for easy soldier and soar for hard soldier).
4. Map makers won't be able to participate (though they can for fun, but they won't have a chance at the prize pot). I'll be testing all the maps as well, making me ineligible at the prize pot.
5. Gonna rename it to Beginnings 2 (I don't like the year)
6. Gonna put $200 as an initial prize pot and accept donations in addition once again

How should I break down the prize pool? How should the ranking/scoring system work? Also, I need mappers for this so if anyone knows someone who wants to make a map for it lemme know (might have to re-add me). Will probably need editors as well. And demo watchers.

Edit: In case you're wondering here is some info about here: General discussion -> Beginnings 2013: http://tf2jump.com
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 05:12:21 PM by Afterglow »
The music is pumping, the dance floor is jumping.

RNC1839

• Proficient
    • View Profile
Cool.

I'd be up for editing a video or two and watching demos. Also I have a demo map that's been done for like a month or two so I could go ahead and continue to not release it until then. I could even make the map showcase.

sitood

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Im already sure i won't win anything so i wanna make a intermediate soldier map  8)

Grandpa

• Intermediate
  • youtube.com/allebwai | youtube.com/QuantumVTX
    • View Profile
6. Gonna put $200 as an initial prize pot and accept donations in addition once again

Might as well make it $0, considering the "prizes" last time..

Oatmeal

• Proficient
    • View Profile

Afterglow

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
considering the "prizes" last time..

What happened last time?  :(

It took me forever to give out the prizes. By the end I was totally burnt out considering I put so much into it (especially making jump_remember in a week). If it ends up anything like the same, I'm just going to drop it. I just didn't really care. Even now, Bane and Skeleton haven't gotten their prizes and I've totally forgotten what they earned. I'll just put that stuff back into the prize pot until they come to me to claim it. Doesn't help that tf2jump.com went down so I lost the thread where I wrote down what people won.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 05:12:58 PM by Afterglow »

John

• video games
  • Novice
    • Frags: +421/-69
    • View Profile
who's left to map? there like sitood and obsidiian i guess but everyone else is like dead

I am interested in seeing this Beginnings 2 go better. You should put in better restraints on how hard each map will be this time around. Several of them were definitely harder than they should have been per week-- but with 3 maps this shouldn't be as difficult to manage.

But to be honest, the jump community hasn't really gained any new rising jumpers who speedrun the shit out of maps. I have a feeling it will be the same as before but I hope I'll be proven wrong.

You have a good start by having yourself test the maps this time around-- most of the good jumpers were in the competition so we didn't have ***professional jump advice***. The mappers this time around should be able to make the maps a bit more suited to this event, as you'll be the one guiding them instead of themselves doing whatever to do whatever.

Dr. Heinz

• needs to stop posting
  • Relax.
    • View Profile
I am always up for testing, I won't run anyway.

Oatmeal

• Proficient
    • View Profile
I guess I could make the ez soldier map if you are okay with it.

Shunix

• Intermediate
    • Frags: +2/-0
    • View Profile
The maps would probably be better if you just had all 3 made by a giant pool of mappers

but what do i know?  8)

Oatmeal

• Proficient
    • View Profile
The maps would probably be better if you just had all 3 made by a giant pool of mappers

You mean all of the maps should be jump_iT style collab maps?

Afterglow

• Intermediate
    • View Profile

but what do i know?  8)

Hmm... perhaps. This way, if the levels were parsed out so not too many levels were made by any one person, I suppose it's okay to let mappers participate as well. Would people be okay with letting mappers participate if they only make like 3 jumps? The whole point of preventing mappers participating is so they don't have months to practice their own map and get an unfair advantage.

Or perhaps we could make a bunch of collab jumps then a single person details one of the six maps? Then ofc, those detailers would be ineligible to participate.

I don't think the detailing would have to be too extraordinary either tbh... It takes so much time, but some people enjoy it I guess.

obsidiian

• Administrator
  • Proficient
    • Frags: +1/-0
    • View Profile

sitood

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
I actually have a almost finished intermediate soldier jump map with 15 jumps somewhere.
Idk if its suitable for the beginnings.

obsidiian

• Administrator
  • Proficient
    • Frags: +1/-0
    • View Profile