jump.tf Forums
Welcome B)

Casual controversy

Grandpa · 123 · 27266

Oatmeal

• Proficient
    • Frags: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Can someone just explain to me what "TAS" means ? I understood that it is a kind of cheating but how does this works ?

It stands for "Tool-assisted speedrun". The term is usually used as an umbrella term for speedruns that are not done by the skill of the runner alone but with the help of tools that make the game easier in whatever way (slowing down time for the player, pausing the game, seamless savepoint usage, etc. etc.).

In this particular case, as far as I understand it, has Casual used a tool to tie together single jumps into a seemingly seamless "run". Any person with basic understanding of jumping could stitch together a seemingly flawless run full of insane strats that way.

He also created a demo of that TAS run which showed no signs of his manipulations whatsoever. I am not sure if he manipulated the demo file or if his TAS software just doesn't give away it's existence to the game at all.

Torii

• Intermediate
  • Whirlwind "Torii Hurricane"
    • View Profile
...Casual was open about it, and I'm so glad he was.

alright, I initially wasn't gonna post here, but nobody was open about fucking anything.
He got busted and managed to make himself look better afterwards.

If people hadn't found out about the STV or some other kind of definite proof, this would've kept going until #ROTW 200.
In the end every cheater is after e-fame, let it be raiin who wasn't careful enough, or casual who put more effort into it.

TELL THEM GUYYST! I called TAS on the void run, no one believed me. EXC0 called it too, so im not alone here.

So who's gonna tell me why you kids so vehemently defended him?

Still waiting..

I think majority of the soldier runners (including myself) were extremely skeptical of the runs, more and more so as they came out. But unlike the void run which had a very noticeable flaw, the rest of the runs looked so legit even with the evidence stacked against it despite the gut feelings of soldier jumpers everywhere that hitting edgeshot after edgeshot, or an insane sync speedshot followed by 5 speedshots under pressure without tapping s is almost impossible to hit in any run.

Guyyst brought up a very valid point too... This is the one part of the apology which I completely disagree with. There were much better ways to reveal this tool to the world and yet how it was done was, IMHO, low as fuck, particularly the jump_aperture run which as I think about it... Why would you? I don't see the rationale behind faking legit runs on a channel like TF2RJWeekly, or faking the winning submission to a competition because you felt that your work would go waste. It really seems that it all comes down to the efame which is quite sad because the largest number of views a run on that channel gets is like 15k.

I doubt we'll get an answer why the few who knew of it's illegitimacy defended it so, but if you ask me it's probably just for the kicks... You know, how long we can keep this up, how much shit we can stir up in the community... That kind of stuff.

Baconlessness

• View Profile
Guyyst brought up a very valid point too... This is the one part of the apology which I completely disagree with. There were much better ways to reveal this tool to the world and yet how it was done was, IMHO, low as fuck, particularly the jump_aperture run which as I think about it... Why would you? I don't see the rationale behind faking legit runs on a channel like TF2RJWeekly, or faking the winning submission to a competition because you felt that your work would go waste. It really seems that it all comes down to the efame which is quite sad because the largest number of views a run on that channel gets is like 15k.

I doubt we'll get an answer why the few who knew of it's illegitimacy defended it so, but if you ask me it's probably just for the kicks... You know, how long we can keep this up, how much shit we can stir up in the community... That kind of stuff.

The apology sounds like absolute bullshit. It's the buttlicking a naughty child gives when he's caught with the cookie jar.
According to Casual, after being told the reason why the TAS shouldnt be released, and promising to do everything in his power to stop it from being abused, he then goes and does EXACTLY what he swore he'd try to stop. There isn't any excuse for what he's done, and he needs to be sanctioned somehow. Those runs need to be either taken off TF2RJweekly, or at least have their names changed, because it's like someone spitting in the face of genuine speedrunners.
But cody and Alle... we already knew Alle was a dick, but what good did they think would come of this? they did their part to try to destroy jumping. Way to make everyone lose respect for you

tyjle

• Advanced
    • View Profile
I find it funny that even when Alle and Cody knew it was Casual who confessed XD

Lambda

• Novice
    • View Profile
My opinion:

I am so dissapointed at all of you guys, saying thanks to a cheater... thats PRETTY unfair for guys like you and like me who jumped for pretty long time, spending years and thousands of hours of fucking practice. You are fucked up.
Cody and alle... excellent jumpers... and hidding this, what a shame, i dont feel respect at you anymore.

And you, saying thanks to a guy who cheated in front of your eyes... so dissapointing.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 01:30:57 PM by Lambda »

scofield

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
My opinion:

I am so dissapointed at all of you guys, saying thanks to a cheater... thats PRETTY unfair for guys like you and like me who jumped for pretty long time, spending years and thousands of hours of fucking practice. You are fucked up.
Cody and alle... excellent jumpers... and hidding this, what a shame, i dont feel respect at you anymore.

And you, saying thanks to a guy who cheated in front of your eyes... so dissapointing.
I think they should forgive him since they forgave Zigzati

tyjle

• Advanced
    • View Profile
At least he didn't hide like Raiin and never admit it. I mean, I don't agree with him cheating, and his apology has evident flaws, I still say we forgive him. If pulls shit like this again I'll reconsider. But still. Cmon.

RNC1839

• Proficient
    • View Profile
Reading through this I feel like there are maybe 10 people that can be trusted with this plugin. And only 3 care enough to make a TAS. Don't make it public. Too many people will abuse it.

Also the main reason I thanked him was so that other cheaters (raiin) would own up to it. I do think he's scum for lying to hundreds of people multiple times.

Melon

• Proficient
  • cool cats club
    • View Profile
Gonna have to agree with exile here.. You're wallowing in drama like a group of high school girls.

Grandpa

• Intermediate
  • youtube.com/allebwai | youtube.com/QuantumVTX
    • View Profile
...Casual was open about it, and I'm so glad he was.

alright, I initially wasn't gonna post here, but nobody was open about fucking anything.
He got busted and managed to make himself look better afterwards.

If people hadn't found out about the STV or some other kind of definite proof, this would've kept going until #ROTW 200.
In the end every cheater is after e-fame, let it be raiin who wasn't careful enough, or casual who put more effort into it.

TELL THEM GUYYST! I called TAS on the void run, no one believed me. EXC0 called it too, so im not alone here.

So who's gonna tell me why you kids so vehemently defended him?

Still waiting..

I think majority of the soldier runners (including myself) were extremely skeptical of the runs, more and more so as they came out. But unlike the void run which had a very noticeable flaw, the rest of the runs looked so legit even with the evidence stacked against it despite the gut feelings of soldier jumpers everywhere that hitting edgeshot after edgeshot, or an insane sync speedshot followed by 5 speedshots under pressure without tapping s is almost impossible to hit in any run.

It's pathetic tbh, wanting "efame" for an extremely small demograph.

Thats my problem though but if you ask me it's probably just for the kicks... That isnt a good excuse, "le epik i TROL u, y so mad XD" is a asinine reason to do this. It doesnt help that, we were led to believe they're all "legit" up until now. Now it's just constant back-pedaling.

Nightin

• Novice
    • View Profile
if theres a way to figure out if a run is TAS or not(like how you guys figured out that casuals run is fake(idk how this shit works)), then theres no reason it shouldnt be public. pretty much all other games have TAS communities. if youre willing to stifle a category in tf2 jump that looks awesome and could end up having a lot of competition because of how zigzati, casual and the people in casual's circle acted then youre dumb. it does kind of amaze me that people would put in all this work to pretend the runs are something they're not just for 5 minutes of fame on the internet. hopefully when(if) this shit gets sorted out and the community matures a bit we wont have this kind of shit happening.

just my 2 cents

tyjle

• Advanced
    • View Profile
Casual and Raiin raising skill ceiling now nobody will accept less then perfection.

Edit: On that note it's probably fun as fuck to TAS a perfect run, if this ever gets released (which I guess it would be better if it isn't from what people are saying) it would be reallllly sick if a channel dedicated to showcasing TAS runs could be made.

Also, squared flawless video without any actual wallpogo skill better not get made lol...

I'd love to see some TAS runs with crazy strats! Sounds like a hell of a lot of fun.

Casual

• View Profile
I don't and never wanted e-fame. I'm just some guy who likes jumping enough to make a TAS tool for it :)

obsidiian

• Administrator
  • Proficient
    • Frags: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Well I guess I need to clear more things up...

Cody did not hide Casual's runs from anyone.  He only knew they were TAS for one hour, and that was the hour before I locked the thread.  He did not attempt to hide the runs in any way because he thought they were legit until Casual told him they weren't.  Also, as far as I know, nobody directly asked Casual if his runs were legit.  Other people defended his runs for him.  Though this may seem small, I think it makes a huge difference.  Raiin insisted his runs were legit and tried to fool people with blatant lies before realizing that it was hopeless and just trying to erase the evidence while still refusing to admit to cheating.  While submitting a run to the aperture speedrun competition was probably not the greatest idea, other than that basically nothing was at stake other than maybe pride in a map WR.  I think people are really blowing some things out of proportion and basing many of their opinions off rumors started by people who had no idea what they were talking about, ex. the idea that cody was somehow conspiring with Casual to create cheated runs for months.

Grandpa

• Intermediate
  • youtube.com/allebwai | youtube.com/QuantumVTX
    • View Profile
I don't and never wanted e-fame. I'm just some guy who likes jumping enough to make a TAS tool for it :)

Then what was the issue with saying "hey this isnt legit" all the way back when you started it? Rather than save face and hide it for so long. "Ruin the jump community" which hack said that?