5:01 PM - john | jump.tf: 👌

cody

• Frags: +0/-0
    • View Profile

internal

• Novice
    • View Profile
im not sure if the plugin should be released or not, and I rly dont care the reasons why he did it or why people are making all this drama, all i know is that those runs look sick as fuck.
The aperture one was ok i guess but the ultra/void/skylight are absolutely amazing to watch, and would love to see whats possible to do on some other maps

ReMaXeD

• Intermediate
  • Serious poster
    • View Profile
Well, so much for that.

First, I'd like to apologize for not being entirely honest about the speedruns.

When Beginnings happened I was really excited (I donated a bunch of metal to the prize pool) to see some really good speedruns on brand new maps. As the competition advanced I was kind of disappointed, I was hoping for more crazy strategies, so the idea came to me that I could make a plugin that could allow the 'perfect' runs to be created.

While developing I went back to the beginnings maps because that's where it all started. They were designed for speedrunning and designed with shortcuts that could be exploited to their fullest potential. Void was the first for being my favourite map of the series.

At that point nobody knew, but after finishing the void run I asked some people what they thought about it. I wanted to release this TAS tool so anyone could create an amazing speedrun. If I can do what you've seen in the videos, imagine what really good jumpers could come up with!

They really liked the idea of TAS! Unfortunately they didn't like the idea of releasing this tool because it would somehow 'ruin the jumping community' even when I assured them that I'd take as much measures as possible to prevent someone from trying to pass off TAS as legit speedruns.

However I was still sitting on the void run and had no intention to let all this work stay in the dark. The only alternative was to release the speedruns passing them off as legit. And thus the demos were released and the rest is history.

The void run, the ultra run and the recent skylight run are tool assisted. These runs are 100% possible in vanilla TF2. I was able to go back to a previous state and keep trying to get the jumps just right. I would never make the TAS slower on purpose just to make them more legit (as this would violate everything TAS stands for) even though this would raise a lot of questions.

With this I intend to publicly release the plugin so others may use it to create TAS. I will do everything within my ability to prevent people from passing TAS for legit speedruns but I believe it is worth it as this plugin could bring much needed refreshment to the TF2 jumping community.

In the end, TAS is about entertaining the viewer while pushing the game to its limits and beyond and I hope  I was able to provide a glimps into the potential future of TF2 speedrunning.

I don't and never wanted e-fame. I'm just some guy who likes jumping enough to make a TAS tool for it :)

Making the jump community aware that your runs were TAS would have been a much more sufficient way to proceed. It's just kind of hard to believe you didn't hide it for the attention. 

How does your hard work go to waste by you releasing your runs under the guise of TAS and afterwards withholding the tool for damage control?  People would still be impressed by the strategies of your runs(and it would avoid tons of drama).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 05:53:49 PM by ReMaXeD »

tyjle

• Advanced
    • View Profile
Yeah, it would avoid the drama. Look at how this thread fucking exploded!

Casual

• View Profile
You so did it for the e-fame

Again, even promoting your own run
Of course I promoted it (out of altruistic motivation), it's an awesome run! I certainly would want to see it.

Making the jump community aware that your runs were TAS would have been a much more sufficient way to proceed. It's just kind of hard to believe you didn't hide it for the attention. 

How does your hard work go to waste by you releasing your runs under the guise of TAS and afterwards withholding the tool for damage control?  People would still be impressed by the strategies of your runs(and it would avoid tons of drama).
Read the posts, the fact that I've proven it can be done may trigger more people to make their own version. That's why it was kept hidden.

ReMaXeD

• Intermediate
  • Serious poster
    • View Profile
You so did it for the e-fame

Again, even promoting your own run
Of course I promoted it (out of altruistic motivation), it's an awesome run! I certainly would want to see it.

Read the posts, the fact that I've proven it can be done may trigger more people to make their own version. That's why it was kept hidden.

I don't really agree with that.  TASing has been around in the source engine with bhopping and surf for awhile(movement recorders and such).  I think just saying its TAS without explaining the intricacies behind it would have been relatively harmless.

tyjle

• Advanced
    • View Profile
I don't really agree with that.  TASing has been around in the source engine with bhopping and surf for awhile(movement recorders and such).  I think just saying its TAS without explaining the intricacies behind it would have been relatively harmless.

Yeah, if TASing has been around for a long time people don't really need proof it can be done with jumping.

cody

• View Profile
This thread "exploded" due to over speculation and nothing else.
basically let it go. but i guess im not stopping anybody from beating a dead horse.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 07:54:52 PM by cody »

Grandpa

• Intermediate
  • youtube.com/allebwai | youtube.com/QuantumVTX
    • View Profile
This thread "exploded" due to over speculation and nothing else.
basically let it go. but i guess im not stopping anybody from beating a dead horse.

Not really, speculation ended on page 2, once casual told us what was going on, after that, few people were speculating(silly conspiracy things), and others were asking some questions, which were getting answers. Now some users, myself included, are discussing his reasoning for not telling everyone early.

This isnt "beating a dead horse" it's only 1.5~ days old.

John

• video games
  • Novice
    • Frags: +421/-69
    • View Profile
i don't know why you guys are angry for saying "thanks" for a cheater fessing up when he gets caught-- considering that raiin never did actually confess at all. i for one am happy that this community has not gone full shit yet because we don't have 200000000 cheaters-in-denial

but yes, letting the community know that it was a TAS would have been the better approach. you only delayed the inevitable

tyjle

• Advanced
    • View Profile
So what's going to happen to casual? We surely can't allow his runs anymore, right?

I mean, showcases are ok but...

cody

• View Profile
By beating a dead horse I wasn't referring to the topic you were talking about at all I was just referring to the amount of repetitive shit posts everyone was spewing at me, alle and Casual. I don't even have to respond to you right now but I am going to in this thread one last time and it is going to be directed towards you mainly. I do not know why you're holding such a grudge against me. I know in your head you probably don't think if it as a grudge but you definitely are projecting it like one, and it doesn't matter if in your reply you say "its not a grudge" because its how I view it. If you really couldn't care less like you said in your first post then you wouldn't be replying to what I say with a meaningful answer. Then continue to ask questions about how me and alle "covered it up." I am not entirely sure of his reasoning, but I honestly believed that until Casual came out himself and told us that he was okay until them, I don't care how silly that sounds at all. Who gives a shit when he decided to tell you guys, does it really hurt your image? Of course not you idiots its a video game. Who gives a shit about hypotheticals and suggestions if its already happened. Its absolutely fucking pointless. He cheated in a video game Gramps, whoop dee doo. You win! Just realized how stupid it was for me to even react to Raiin cheating.