Forums

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: getting into rocket jumping  (Read 1011 times)
Offline  snufkin
Soldier

hurtme -9999999
idk if this counts as 'general discussion' but I was wondering how people got into rocket jumping. I personally was watching one of STAR's videos and he linked to tears in rain and i was kinda inspired.

anyways, just say sumting

Tears In Rain - A TF2 Community Jump Movie

Offline  Zigzter
Fly

I started playing 6v6 in mid-late 2010 and started to occasionally jump since I play roamer. Tears in Rain motivated me to jump even more. :>

Offline  dellort
Rocketeer

Video Maker Extraordinaire
I used to play pyro in UGC but then I saw Freedom and was inspired to become a professional jumper.  :-*

Rocketeer

I don't really know. I guess I joined a friend once who was on a jumpserver and I kinda stuck there.

---------------------------

Offline  Exile
Rocketeer

Couldn't think of something clever to put
Needed something I could do on tf2 that didn't give me 5 fps

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Rocketman

Needed something I could do on tf2 that didn't give me 5 fps

30 is that winning number

Rocketeer

the skybox is the limit
I pressed space bar a few times until some guy told me you could add crouch and mouse1 to it so I did that

Rocketman

No tears now; only dreams
Jumped in cs 1.6/tfc so naturally I tried out jumping in tf2. Ofc it just wasn't the same without concs, and the jump maps back in vanilla tf2 were just lame tower climbs. Stopped playing tf2 completely then came back to it just under a year ago. Pubbed for a bit, which got old real fast. Went back to my roots and started jumping again. Why tf2 in particular? The answer is that it is f2p.

Offline  duppy
Fly

For me it all started with the Quake series.  In Quake1 I merely learned the basic rocket/grenade jump.  Then I moved to Quake2 where I mainly played the Weapons Factory mod (based on Quake1's Team Fortress), but that was really where I learned about trick jumping (circle jumps, double jumps, bunny hopping, etc).  I stayed with Quake2 trick jumping for quite a while; I even had a web site where I set up weekly jumps and had people submit demos for me to judge (video here of jumps we'd do)...fun times.  Eventually moved to Quake3 but kinda lost interest, although my knowledge of Quake2's trick jumping stilled helped while playing deathmatch and capture the flag.  As for TF2 jumping, I just stumbled across a TF2 jump video on youtube, and it brought back fond memories of my Quake trick jumping days, so I thought I should try it...but at the time I didn't really care to buy The Orange Box (I'm cheap), nor did I want to run Steam (I'm somewhat paranoid too, lol) so I kinda forgot about it.  Eventually I saw that TF2 became free to play, and so I downloaded it, started to play, loved it, found this awesome web site (TF2Jump), began jumping again, and here I am now!  It's crazy to think how long I've been doing this stuff, and I'm still not great at it, but I truly do love it...I just hope TF2 isn't the end.

Offline  Scotteh
Fly

¬_¬
One of my friends called Patcherson randomly just said "you know there's servers dedicated to rocket jumping? let's join one" while we were in a pub. I said ok and we joined joe.to jump server. I saw some scrub called dellort in there and thought "whoa this guy is good" and pretty much just played on that server for the next few weeks, practising and spectating the regulars (dellort, timmy tissue, nevolution, bematt etc) until I got semi decent.

This was like early 2010 I think. Maybe feb or march.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 10:55:05 AM by Scotteh »

Offline  Torii
Soldier

Whirlwind "Torii Hurricane"
Like Tears... In rain...

That's how I got into jumping. I apparently didn't notice the intro jumps, but once I saw WALKA and IronHawk do the cp_snakewater jumps, I shat my pants. I was really impressed with Ironhawk's snakewater jump, Applejack's sawmill jump, X_DIAS' pl_*something* double upward sync, Raiin's aridia airpogo, etc

One thing led to the next, and eventually I found myself spending a shit ton of time in jumping, eventually attaining my greatest achievement of completing BAQu.

Whatever happened to DSMART anyway, I always marvelled at his badlands speedshot.

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC