Forums

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MOUSE2 for jumping?  (Read 1457 times)
Offline  snufkin
Soldier

hurtme -9999999
Should I use MOUSE2 for rocket jumping? Any disadvantages/advantages? At the moment I'm using Space. Thanks.

Rocketman

Is it more comfortable for you?  Use it.

Is it less comfortable for you?  Don't use it.

It's not like there's some engine flaw "HE'S USING JUMP ON MOUSE2, MAKE IT FAIL". Just use whatever you'd like to use.

Rocketman

No tears now; only dreams
Hmm I'd say no... how are you going to sticky jump without having m2 to detonate? Seems a bit tricky if you ask me. RJing is simple enough where I don't think you need to try and optimize the keystrokes. Just crouch/jump/shoot literally all at the same time. It becomes natural over time.

Personally, I use mwheelup for jump as a habit from my bunnyhopping days. One downside I've faced is that starting vert air pogo feels pretty annoying for me. Need to hit mwheelup/m1/m2/crouch all at the same time pretty much.

---------------------------

Offline  Torii
Soldier

Whirlwind "Torii Hurricane"
Just go for what is comfortable to you, but you should also consider the other keys you have to press, unless you bind stickybomb detonation to another key (and taking out spy watch, and activating uber, and launching the sandman baseball, etc), you can't demo-jump.

I only have rebinded crouch to Shift from Ctrl, for less strain on the wrist. My jump is still spacebar.

Soldier

m3thskiLL
I think mouse2 is better for timing jump with +attack (assuming youre using mouse1 to shoot and arent toxjq or someone). For me its just really hard to get a max distance rocket jump using spacebar because of my mechanical keyboard. also spacebar is like the worst key on a keyboard because its prone to wobbling and shit

like others said the downside to m2 jump is you cant use it for some other classes without rebinding +attack2, particularily demo because you will have to det with something else which will be awkward for awhile
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 07:40:17 PM by wonderland »

Offline  dellort
Rocketeer

Video Maker Extraordinaire
I have jump bound to mouse2, mwheelup and mwheeldown, makes it really easy to hit when needed. Like others said it's more down to preference though, getting used to attack2 on a different key takes a while to get used to but it feels fine once you adjust.

Offline  Zigzter
Fly

If I moved a rocket jump related key to mouse2, I'd rather make it the duck key, since Ctrl is the least comfortable key for me to press.

Offline  Yami
Rocketeer

Doesn't anyone ever think about this thing called personal preference? Why ask people who do not have your hands to press buttons with?

Fly

Registered as Special43004 but playing as Kandrix
personally hate jumpers, that uses configs and scripts. it discards necessarity of skill and degrades good jumpers...

New acc

Old acc

Offline  Wolsk
Rocketeer

i love you
personally hate jumpers, that uses configs and scripts. it discards necessarity of skill and degrades good jumpers...
Scripts and configs hadn't even been mentioned in this thread until you said something.

klanana:  I DID NOT EAT THE CAT
dellort: This mod is pretty cool, just wish the devs would fix the bug that allows MIKE to play on it.

Offline  snufkin
Soldier

hurtme -9999999
thanks for all the feedback, I was just wondering as in mouse's rj guide (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkqrRY4SZzY) he said you should use mouse2.
I think it makes it easier to bunny hop in quake, but tf2 isn't quake. thanks again :D

Offline  duppy
Fly

I know using scripts is looked down upon, but I prefer to combine jump and duck into one key, for me it's the spacebar.  It really helps prevent fatigue in your fingers/wrist since you only need to hold two keys at most ...and you're not using your weak little pinky finger all the time.

Code: [Select]
alias +dj "+duck; +jump"
alias -dj "-duck; -jump"
bind space +dj

With that said, I also bind Shift key to duck, and Mouse2 to jump for times when I need them separate.  Most of the time, spacebar with jump and duck is all I need though (it even works for pogos).

Also, I'd have to agree with Wonderland that having mouse1 to shoot and mouse2 to jump is best for timing and getting the best possible rocket jump distance.  One hand pressing two buttons (which are close together) is gonna be a lot easier than splitting it up into left hand and right hand...at least in terms of synchronizing the timing.

BTW, you can have completely different key setups for each class by using the class specific config files (like soldier.cfg, and demoman.cfg), along with another cfg file to reset binds to a default layout.  I won't bother explaining though...maybe in another post if someone actually wants to know how.

Offline  Exile
Rocketeer

Couldn't think of something clever to put
I still use 5 to jump

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Maggot

I play with jump on mouse2 ever since i play. Attack2 is mapped to the middle button, the mousewheel. As others stated, I have problems with Demo, especially with pogo, because the chance to scroll up/down and switch weapons is rather high.
In my opinion, finger koordination is easier with jump mapped to the mouse. In most jumps you need one (or two) direction key(s), ducking, shooting, and jumping. With default binding you have to use three (or four) fingers of the left hand an only one of the right.

Maggot

pretty normal hard to get the hang of. i only use r for detonate,mouse 2 for jumping and space for shooting :P

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC