Forums

Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Skip Jump Map  (Read 1216 times)
Offline  Tom
Maggot

Pretty sure euros call speedshots skips and we call them speedshots.

Nope every euro i know uses speedshots as touching the ground, skips not touching

Rocketeer

Pretty sure euros call speedshots skips and we call them speedshots.

Nope every euro i know uses speedshots as touching the ground, skips not touching

Yep

---------------------------

Offline  CrancK
Rocketeer

ehh... what?
dude...
then you both dont know me! o.0

ill say it again,

speedshot is an IDIOTIC name for a jumptechnique!!!

Rocketeer

then you both dont know me! o.0

ill say it again,

speedshot is an IDIOTIC name for a jumptechnique!!!
Then, how do you call it?

Offline  X_DIAS
Rocketman

The world is a cube
Then, how do you call it?

breakyourlegsforasplitsecondbeforeyoushootshot

Soldier

Hi
a skip XD

Hi

Rocketman

a skip XD

Then what do you call this, soar jump 5,

ē« Small | Large

Offline  CrancK
Rocketeer

ehh... what?
dude...
those are pogos, maybe you could call m speedpogo, cos youre like "going fast", but even that is convoluted and silly

not touching ground = pogo

touching ground = skip

could apply the prefix speed to both, tho in both cases its mostly useless

why skip? well any word could do as long as its random (think "booga", means nothing, so a new definition can be used for it to specify a specific thing)
but skip actually at least has some relevance

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

so ye like... skip.. makes some sense (note v.intr. 1a, 1b, 2, v.tr 3, n 1 on that dictionary spoiler)

speedshot however is silly, as i've said at least 3 times on this forum by now

lets see... speed... and shot... hmmm... so your going fast, and your shooting..
hmmm thats vague as shit and can apply to any rocketshot where you go fast
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 11:50:45 AM by CrancK »

Rocketman

Then what do you call this in quba? @ 1:50

×], Small | Large

Speed pogo as well?

Not having a differentiation between the two is worse than the name speedshot.  I didn't name it, that's just what I learned it as, but just calling everything pogo is dumb.

The way I differentiate (and learned to differentiate) is:

-- pogo is something you can also cross slowly, there may be gaps that require you to go fast, but it is not many inter unconnected platforms at varying heights.

-- skips, though like pogo are often on ledges while varying in height, like in soar 5.  You can skip from platform to platform, but you can't really complete the jump if you try to pogo on top of one of them.

-- a speedshot is when you actually hit the floor and shoot yourself in order to launch yourself with great speed.  Is the name dumb? Sure, but it's still better than not having a difference.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 12:09:15 PM by Kairu927 »

Offline  CrancK
Rocketeer

ehh... what?
dude...
yes thats just a pogo

as i said.. if you wanna give it the prefix speed, go ahead, it makes it slightly more specific so ppl would know slightly better what you mean, but its not needed, since you actually dont need to go fast there till the end bit

so that jump could be slowpogo-speedpogo, which is more easily reffered to as.... wait for it.... POGO

also... from your interpretation..

defrag_xelerate.. the startbit, most people do not touch ground there when just jumping it for fun, cos hitting ground is less reliable then just staying above it

however... would you then call that a speedpogo? since when you start a pogo.. your not going fast at all
ahh meh, i guess that does depend on what one calls fast though just.. i dont think a single jumpoff = fast

which if you follow that "rule" of single rocket is not fast, then that jump on soar is definitly not a "speed" anything

but ye... depends a bit on what you call fast or not

lastly... i think the difference of how we call them comes from how we see the things, i see mechanics in code,

(my) pogo has to do with being in air, and falling so little down, that a single rocketblast keeps you up (or if your already going up, going up faster)

(my) skip has to do with a bug, that basically lets you do what ppl do in other games and call a bunnyhop, except we need a rocket to get that bug to work

also.. if i try and shorten my two interpretations, i see that pogo has to do with being inair.... and skip is always on ground

thus the easiest way to define them, and still being 100% true to what they are is pogo = inair and skip = onground

the whole speed thingy plays no part in it for my interpretations cos the mechanics of the techniques dont care how fast you move
(tho note that pogo is limited to certain speeds because the rockets cant keep up, not because of the technique.. the technique afterall is having so little downspeed that your rocket can actually push you up)

ill stop here now.. cos its too long already and i feel im ranting which i didnt really intend to :S

EDIT (moved silly section down cos it was a tangent):
Now that were on the subject of silly stuff and pogo...

wallpogo came to mind...

you see, back in the day... we only called wallstuff walljumping... and there werent any slow walljumps i think (not entirely sure)

however, somewhere along the way wallpogo came along as in slow walljumping, and since its a pogo just on a different wall it fits (normal pogo = bottom wall, wallpogo = sidewall, too bad you cant toppogo ^^)

but see, at least there... there is some sense in it

EDIT2:

ohw btw, the reason i want names to make sense.. is ofc so its not vague when you talk about it, ESPECIALLY with someone new to things
(does mean pogo itself is silly name cos when ppl pogo in real life they hit the ground all the time, but at least the motion is similar)

(hmm bit overly obvious maybe.. but i felt the need to state it.. im in rantmode i guess)

EDIT3:

also.. i think i'm in the minority with how i name shiz, but i dun care.. i crazy dutchman and stubborn like a brick (though i think with good reason ^^)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 12:40:20 PM by CrancK »

Offline  Tom
Maggot

I get what you mean Cranck, when I first learnt the names how I now know them (speedshot = touch ground, skip = doesn't) I thought it was silly how skipping wasn't touching the ground

But as like 95% of the community calls touching the ground speedshots and not touching the ground skips I just went along with it and now it seems weird calling them the other way

About the vagueness thing, having the pogo, speedpogo, skip and speedshot surely makes it less vague...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 01:07:46 PM by Tom »

Offline  snufkin
Soldier

hurtme -9999999
I think the term 'speedshot' is way too vague.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 01:39:09 PM by beskute »

Pages: 1 [2]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC