Forums

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: [Question] Pogo into Wallclimb  (Read 612 times)
Offline  Momo
Maggot

Hi, I'm Momo.
I've been a casual jumper for a while. Doing a jump map or two once in a blue moon. I've gained some interest in becoming a roamer in 6v6 and one of my coaches had said jump maps would help much more than Bball (one of my favourite pastimes).

I've started doing some more beginner maps (like Adventure, Beef and Rush) but occasionally I'll try something a bit harder. So I went to jump_quba. On the sixth or so stage for the 1st level, you have to pogo across the floor and then climb the wall. My question is: how? People have told me in various jump servers that I need to aim my crosshair a bit to the left (since the launcher fires from the right), look up a bit and tap "d" (or right strafe) every time I shoot. I tried this for about 45 minutes straight yesterday but I just couldn't climb that wall. It wasn't the first time I'd gotten stuck there. If I raise my crosshair to touch the wall, I'll just be propelled into the floor. Anyone have any tips?

Also, on several maps, you need to pogo across the floor however, the starting platform is very high up. I've heard from other jumpers (and seen from many videos) that you need to shoot a rocket against the wall before you can start pogoing. I get it randomly. Like once every 20 tries. Is there a certain angle you're supposed to shoot your rocket for these?

Or are all of these issues just a matter of "practice, practice, practice"?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Maggot

If you're getting propelled away from the wall you want to climb, you're aiming too high. The method you describe seems right although you did not mention holding 'W' to stay close to the wall (which you need to do additionally to tapping 'D'). To get the right aiming angle the best thing to do would be to watch other people do it in first person I guess.

The thing about going into pogo from a higher platform is pretty much just practice. On some maps you will need just one rocket to get down, on some two or even more. If its not too high and one rocket is sufficient, the angle shouldn't be too important compared to the timing, but similar to the angle for climbing.

The higher the starting platform is however, the more you have to do a "real" wallpogo, and climbing down a wall is a tough skill to master and takes lots and lots of practice.

---------------------------

Rocketman

In addition to the already existing reply... your coach is full of shit.

Jump maps will do so much less for you than learning to play bball well.  Find people at/above your skill level for bball, as the jumps you do there are about as hard as the ones you'll do in any competitive game, and DM is very important to improve as well.  Outside of soap/mge, bball is probably the best you'll get for practice.

Offline  Momo
Maggot

If you're getting propelled away from the wall you want to climb, you're aiming too high. The method you describe seems right although you did not mention holding 'W' to stay close to the wall (which you need to do additionally to tapping 'D'). To get the right aiming angle the best thing to do would be to watch other people do it in first person I guess.

The thing about going into pogo from a higher platform is pretty much just practice. On some maps you will need just one rocket to get down, on some two or even more. If its not too high and one rocket is sufficient, the angle shouldn't be too important compared to the timing, but similar to the angle for climbing.

The higher the starting platform is however, the more you have to do a "real" wallpogo, and climbing down a wall is a tough skill to master and takes lots and lots of practice.

Thanks alot, Henchman! I'll try and get into a JuJump/Jump iT server and spec someone with !skeys. And thanks for telling me that the higher platform pogo is just practice. Off to the Jump servers I go!

And @Kairu, haha okay. Thanks for letting me know that it's even better practice to mix jumping with Bball and DM servers. Nice to know I wasn't wasting my time in those servers :)

Soldier

Hey,
i think both helps a lot bball for dm and jump maps for doing Basic techniques frequently without Fails.
TF2 rocket jumping: the ultimate tf2 rocket jumping tutorial I HD
Shows how to do it correctly.
you have to tap d, everytime you will be pushed away from the wall, also hold w all the time crouch is naturally i think. then raise your aim slowly into 15-20° to the wall and the floor. (all about Feeling)
after you got this you have to adjust your aim slightly to the left around 30°.
my personal tip is use the (i think) crosshair 5 it helps to see your aiming and start with 45° left aim.

what you then describe is called droppogo and is a looooot harder then wallclimb.
you should learn it after you finished most of the techniques and you can wallclimb mostly without Fails.
but here the description:
like wallclimb you hold w, crouch and tap d also your aim from the floor to the wall is mostly the same (20°)
but how you adjust your aim to the left or to the right is the hardest part of it dropping slowly and dropping fast makes a lot of diffrence.
if you want to drop between slow and fast you must have your aim as horizental as possible in the wall (this doesnt mean the aiming from floor to wall!) but you will see that you will get a lot of Speed then you have to adjust your aim to the left to make you slower (similiar to the wallclimb!).
then you drop slower but also climb up if you do it too Long then it is more adjusting.
this consistently adjust of your aim makes this technique really hard it takes a lot of time to learn it.

if you do this together you will be wallpogoing but yeah it takes really a lot of practice. it helps indirectly just with your Feeling how you aim in competitve but not for your jumping itself you will never use Pogo in 6v6 except speedpogo.

i can say doing the Basic techniques and walljumps (left and right) consistently helps more then doing this Special kind of rocket jump. what you should learn is how to Play your class correctly  and some diffrent strategies for the maps.
greets dotte

Offline  The BQE
Soldier

In my experience, it helps to get a good, straight down shot first before aiming slightly up (and hitting the wall). 

Offline  Momo
Maggot

Thanks for the advice guys.
derdotte, I HAVE seen that video many times but I guess I've always been distracted  or just skimmed through it because I never noticed that was in there, haha.
Also, never knew a dropogo was as hard as you said. Since it needs to be used twice in jump_adventure, I assumed it was a beginner technique. I'll be sure to follow your advice and re-watch the video.
and BQE, okay thanks. I'll try doing that c:

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC