Forums

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Translucent Rocket Launcher?  (Read 1311 times)
Maggot

I've been searching for a working translucent RL skin but all the files have either 404'd or require a knowledge of scripting. Anyone have a skin they could upload or link me to? I don't care if it doesn't work on sv_pure 2, I just want it when I'm practicing on my own server.

Here's a screenie of what I'm looking for:
http://i.imgur.com/UKnXp.jpg

Maggot

GOOGLE POWERS, BIOTCH
This is what I use, works fine for me...
http://tf2.gamebanana.com/skins/123745

---------------------------

Rocketeer

Try searching on the forums here next time... :P

http://forums.tf2jump.com/index.php/topic,174.0.html

Post from Kap, make sure you're logged in, otherwise the dl isn't there I think.

---------------------------

Offline  duppy
Fly

I've got a solution that doesn't require any downloads.  All you have to do is create a plain text file:

Code: [Select]
"VertexLitGeneric"
{
    "$basetexture"  "models/weapons/v_rocketlauncher/v_rocketlauncher01"

"$translucent" 1

"$cloakPassEnabled" "1"
    "Proxies"
    {
        "weapon_invis"
        {
        }
    }
}

and save with the file name "v_rocketlauncher01.vmt", and store it in this folder:

c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\custom\translucent-weapons\materials\models\weapons\v_rocketlauncher\
You'll need to create the "translucent-weapons" folder as well as the "models", "weapons" and "v_rocketlauncher" sub-folders.  Of course if Steam is installed in another location, you'd change that too.

Now restart the game or type mat_reloadallmaterials in the developer console if the game's already loaded.

You didn't ask about the sticky launcher, but it can be done in a similar fashion...

"VertexLitGeneric"
{
    "$baseTexture" "models/weapons/v_stickybomb_launcher/v_stickybomb_launcher"

"$translucent" 1
    "$additive" "1"

"$cloakPassEnabled" "1"
    "Proxies"
    {
        "weapon_invis"
        {
        }
    }
}

Save as "v_stickybomb_launcher.vmt" and put it in this folder:

c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\custom\translucent-weapons\materials\models\weapons\v_stickybomb_launcher\

In my opinion, both of them could look better, especially the RL, but that requires editing the texture map file.  It's not bad for just creating a simple text file though.

Edit: Updated folder names for SteamPipe update.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 02:47:39 PM by duppy »

Rocketman

Wow duppy, that's awesome. I take it since they're still added text files that it'd still be invalid under sv_pure though, correct?

Offline  duppy
Fly

Yeah, pure servers will just ignore it as far as I know...maybe there's an exception list though.  *shrug* I never admin'd a server.

Offline  snufkin
Soldier

hurtme -9999999
"$translucent" 1

will '$transparent 1' work?

Offline  duppy
Fly

Check out https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/VertexLitGeneric for supported effects of the VertexLitGeneric shader.  $transparent is not one of them.  What were you hoping to achieve by using "transparent" instead of "translucent"?

Offline  snufkin
Soldier

hurtme -9999999
yeah, I was going to try and have it show it only showed the hand. then I'd still know if I had my rocket launcher out, but it wouldn't be blocking my screen. I'll check it out, thanks

Offline  duppy
Fly

yeah, I was going to try and have it show it only showed the hand. then I'd still know if I had my rocket launcher out, but it wouldn't be blocking my screen. I'll check it out, thanks

That can be done, but it requires a texture with an alpha channel that's purely black.  Fortunately, tf2 comes with developer material that does just that called "dev/null.vtf"

All you have to do is change the $basetexture line from

"$basetexture"  "models/weapons/v_rocketlauncher/v_rocketlauncher01"

to this:

"$basetexture"  "dev/null"

The rocket will still show when reloading (and the hands), but your weapon should totally disappear.  I haven't figured out how to change the transparency of non-weapons yet :(

Edit: got rid of my invisible.vtf texture download since I found dev/null.vtf is the same thing.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 02:51:09 PM by duppy »

Rocketeer

the skybox is the limit

Some people accomplish this by turning viewmodels off and writing up a script that changes their crosshair based on what weapon they're holding.

Offline  snufkin
Soldier

hurtme -9999999
At the moment I have viewmodels off, I personally find the crosshair switch way too distracting.

Offline  duppy
Fly

The rocket launcher's reload animation is actually helpful for sync'ing in my opinion, so I can see why he might have wanted the RL totally invisible and the hands still there to show reloads.  Whether that was urlnderscore's idea behind the modification, I dunno, but it was easily accomplished.

Offline  snufkin
Soldier

hurtme -9999999
thanks a lot duppy, you're amazing :-) this forum needs a rep system
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 11:57:03 AM by urlnderscore »

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC