Forums

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: jump_shunix  (Read 2654 times)
Offline  Shunix
Soldier

Awooooo!
My first ever map!!
------------------------
only 1 stage atm

*NEW LINK*
-------------------------------------------

Alright! a2 is here!

I have changed the horrible citadel textures into something much nicer iv'e also added a skybox and changed the lighting.

In addition i've also made a couple of changes to the last jump its now a triple to a double instead of a just a triple and then a ctap.

i fixed some other random stuff as well.

So here it is *NEW LINK*

Feel free to leave feedback on the map!

-Shunix <3!

--------------------------------
jump_shunix_a3 is here!!!

Changed alot of stuff and added some new stuff too:

-Added a new stage designed around speedruns

-Added a texture for illusionary walls

-Added a new jump

-Changed/fixed the last jump and the speedshot

-Got rid of the "random mattress textures"

so yeah

*NEW LINK*

Leave feedback and enjoy!!!

-Shunix <3!!!!
---------------------
a4 is here!!!

Try it out
leave feedback

-Shunix <3!!!!
-----------------------------------

ok! i think i have finally finished the map some pretty cool changes in this version

Fixed the leak

Textured stage B

Added a cap to stage B

Added a spawn for blue that prevent players from killing reds

lighting and skybox changes

textures changed

bounce on 7 is now possible

changed the ending of stage B

and other random stuff.

Now that this map is pretty much done with iv'e started a new map project (jump_flow)

thanks to everyone who left feedback

http://www.mediafire.com/?dixd09gef44go5n

-shunix <3!!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 10:14:46 AM by Shunix »

---------------------------

Rocketman

No tears now; only dreams
Well it could definitely use some work lol. For one thing the spacing seems random. Big drops for fails for instance. Not a fan of huge open areas unless it's proportionally equal throughout like in jump_natural. The speedshot jump seems too hard, had to use a double catch to do it. Also the texturing should be more consistent (as in a texture that indicates a teleport shouldnt be able to be stood on anywhere, textures you use for walls you can shoot thru should be shoot thru-able everywhere, etc). At some point later on in the map there are func_illusionary walls that you can shoot thru that aren't indicated at all by a new texture or anything. I also don't get why this texture scheme is so popular amongst jump mappers O.o Lighting is also fullbright, though that really doesn't bother me since it's b1.

But it's a start at least, understandable for your first map ever.

Offline  Shunix
Soldier

Awooooo!
Well it could definitely use some work lol. For one thing the spacing seems random. Big drops for fails for instance. Not a fan of huge open areas unless it's proportionally equal throughout like in jump_natural. The speedshot jump seems too hard, had to use a double catch to do it. Also the texturing should be more consistent (as in a texture that indicates a teleport shouldnt be able to be stood on anywhere, textures you use for walls you can shoot thru should be shoot thru-able everywhere, etc). At some point later on in the map there are func_illusionary walls that you can shoot thru that aren't indicated at all by a new texture or anything. I also don't get why this texture scheme is so popular amongst jump mappers O.o Lighting is also fullbright, though that really doesn't bother me since it's b1.

But it's a start at least, understandable for your first map ever.

The textures I've used are only until i can find some custom textures i like

I'm working on adding an additional stage or 2 to the map and will fix the issues you talked about and any other issues i come across.

Also im pretty terrible at hammer since im so new at it most of what i know has come from your map guide lol

Thanks for the feedback it really means a lot.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 03:46:30 PM by Shunix »

Rocketeer

the third jump is pretty weird in my opinion. I liked the speedshot with doublecatch, although it might not be in the right place, maybe further in the map.
 And I guess the last jump is supposed to be a double? You can easily strafe that. And what is with the jump just before the tele? is that supposed to be a double, cause it's just a normal rocketjump.

Like the map, keep working on it please.

Fly

((|Crayola|(>
I do like some of the ideas that you have for the map, however as stated before you should indicate the walls where you can't shoot through by using the same repetitive texture. And some of the jumps also have easier ways to complete than what you probably made them for, so long story short, this could be a fun map so please keep working on it and i would love to see it's progress!  ;)

Tic's previously owned dog

Maggot

oooookay... the mediafire link sais : _a1 instead of _b1... so i hope i got the right version here...

first things first:
welcome to the wonderful world of jump_mapping =)
a wonderland made of wondrous bugs and errors you either get to love or to hate...

yea... no... for real - always nice to have new mappers ^_^

now to business:

first up: check for leaks and compile it right pls... even if it's fullbright - there is never a need for a broken vis (probably the most important thing here)

next in line: care of lighting! Its not that difficult to just put a sky texture to the top of a map, and put an light_environment in to create basic diffuse sunlight - makes every map look at least 50% cooler than fullbright.

third: textures - you're saying that you don't know what textures you wanna end up with? then take measure, that makes it clear that you're gonna do it differently later, and measure is mostly nicer to the eye than those... style-natural-like-citadel-wall-textures
but that is just for future reference, no need to change it now, when you plan to do it right later anyways

last point of order - jumps:
pretty straight forward standard jumps, all doable, i find last a bit hard to judge, and the speedshot seems to be pretty crisp... other than that they are fine imo

keep at it, and i know its gonna be awesome, laters

Soldier

i guess this map can be really good but its confusing for someone if you put wallpogo after an easy left wall jump.
lightning isnt that hard. dev textures like quba style are good for a1 or b1 versions if you going to release it completly then you should have some others but for this its easier for you and for everybody else to see what is going on.
The speedshot is...pretty easy i feel got it after 4 tries. dont understand what all other have with this jump  8)
keep working on it.

edit: the wallpogo is easy to skip so nevermind^^
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 12:59:49 AM by derdotte »

Offline  Shunix
Soldier

Awooooo!
a2 is here!

Maggot

Pretty good update. I really like the start with the slopes that you can use to get more speed.
I was able to do the speedshot without a catch after a couple of tries, so it seems fine to me.

Difficulty curve might be a bit steep idk. but it is fun so far.

You can still cheat last though. You can still strafe around avoiding the triple, and don't even have to land the double right away since the glass panels and horizotal bars next to them aren't illusionary.

Rocketman

You have a leak, I shouldn't be able to stand on your map and your lighting is really weird. Once the leak is fixed, several areas of ur map are going to be pitch black pretty much. Going to need to add some lighting entities. I also see that your not using nodraw... :( compile time is going to get massive if you continue to add onto this map. Also can't say I'm a fan of the mattress texture lol. Seems totally random o.o

I saw that you replaced all the textures, I hope you didn't do this manually. If you go to tools -> replace textures you can replace a certain texture all at once.

And this wall still randomly transfers into a func_illusionary. It's the level before the speedshot:
http://gyazo.com/216c5b12b8e8725e65fa24e16681f1e3

Really confusing without some different texturing for when it changes to func_illusionary.

I also decompiled your map. In general you have a ton of overlapping blocks and the grid is just... super messy.

Like these 3 teleport blocks:
http://gyazo.com/4ace72911cd9ab056a04938a4aa68b53

Would be way easier imo to just make one like this for instance, remember the height of the teleport block doesnt matter as long as they just touch it. I used the vertex tool to move one side of the teleport higher.
http://gyazo.com/c3f65f0ac8d7d6c678ee22e60fe0f60c

Also why do you have like 10 light_environments :O You only need one, and it doesn't matter where in the map it is.

As for the jumps, speedshot is still too hard imo. Need a rly good one to get it without a double catch. With a bit of cleanup though the map could be nice, especially for speedrunning. Can transition in between jumps very quickly which I like :)

Edit:

Also seems like you don't know about the clipping tool.

http://gyazo.com/0624a910c9c227d99de4cb6dbf20e98e

Can cut off portions of a block with it. Would greatly help to clean up blocks like this:
http://gyazo.com/0b254086bcdf55e784312c69b4c04a06

A shape like this is easiest to make with the vertex tool imo, should rly look into it if you're going to make more geometry like this.

Edit2:
To easily delete the unneeded light_envs you can go to map -> entity report. Will bring up a list of all entities in the map. Can then select all light envs but one and delete em.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 07:47:16 PM by Afterglow »

Offline  Shunix
Soldier

Awooooo!
a3 is here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

Fly

Jon Bon Jovi of course
much better

It wasn't me, but Jon Bon Jovi of course.

Soldier

its better now but pls fix that freaking teleporter after the "wallpogo jump" (you can easily skip this jump) a teleporter directly on an edge tells me everytime hold w and fail again. a little bit away from the edge should solve this.
and way did you put this little block at the speedshot end? it makes this jump realllllyyyy easy^^
pls fix some dark areas with some light entitys like the spawn area.
the last jump is strafeable  and you dont need to do the triple and the double directly because you can land on top.

i dont get the second stage seems weird...

pls start using nodraw its a texture in tools. put this at all sides that the player cant see like the outsides of walls... it makes compile time a lot shorter.
look for leaks there are a lot go in hammer under map -> load pointfile if a savewindow comes up you dont have any but otherwise fix them they can destroy your map completly!
i wish this will be included in a4 :)
keep working
greets dotte

edit:
i decompiled your map and saw that you mostly used nodraw and fixed leaks so sry for this. nodrawing the complete outside is okay but you also should nodraw everything that cant be seen.
why do you have 6 info_player_teamspawn? one is enough.

some tips at the right side you have the selection options group, objects and solids to select just a side of a block switch to solid.
now you can use the visgroup tab:
do auto and deselect all except world geometry now you only see solid objects start select all sides that cant be seen by the player hold control for this then shift+a and apply on all this sides the nodraw texture.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 09:35:37 AM by derdotte »

Soldier

Jump order seems a bit odd, but that's expected with few jumps. (inb4 criticized on everest's shitty jump order)

You forgot playerclip blocks on the first triple jump, and why use the same glass texture for shootable and non-shootable?

Theres some blocks clipping on to other blocks on the jump b4 first triple. Make the ground on the first triple a bit lower, i keep killing myself unless i do a rocket off start > triple.

Why did you add that random glass block on the speedshot, i thought it was gr8 b4, just nooblords cant do it.

Dont really understand the second course, is it a freestyle-ish jump ?

Solid start otherwise.

Rocketman

Ya definitely better :). Some thoughts:

1) Still quite dark in certain areas
2) Still have a leak. REALLY should fix this asap. Just makes compile time way bigger.
3) Speedshot seems a bit too easy now lol. It's ultimately up to you what you want to do with it, but imo a higher height on that glass block would be better.
4) In that second course plzzzzzzz change that orange texture. I can't take it.

Pages: [1] 2
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC