Forums

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Steam Pipe  (Read 2528 times)
Soldier

Hey guys,
maybe some do already know about it but a new TF2 updates comes at 30th April its really important to know about it because there will be a lot of changes.
for now i will copy paste just the informations from ETF2L.

The official release of SteamPipe will arrive on 30th of April (Valve time). As pub player you might not care too much, but as competitive player you might want to make sure you are ready for transition because if your TF2 is customized a bit more than simple addition of chris’es config, then you might lose some of the “stuff” when transition happens. If you don’t want to read too much, just scroll to bottom Q/A part, I will go in more detailed steps in following thread. So here are few things to know:

* Backup ALL configs. Just doing simple copy paste to your /cfg folder will do, save it on desktop or anything really, as long as its copied somewhere NOT inside /team fortress 2/ folder. I don’t know if this is bug atm, but some configs get deleted when going SteamPipe, so atm I’d advise to better be safe than sorry and just making sure you don’t lose your loved duckjump scripts.

* Backup your HUD’s, especially if custom made. Although they do get moved to /tf/download/ location, backing them up will save time for you trying to search them!

What about maps/materials/sounds/etc? When transition happens they will be moved to /download/* folder. This is your new location for files downloaded from server. But this is not where you put your config or hud! Also if you wish local host server with custom maps or play in pub with custom models, you will need to make copy of these files in /custom/custom_dir/ folder. Keep reading!

After your TF2 will be transformed into SteamPipe, your new folder for everything custom is ../steam/steamapps/common/Team Fortress 2/tf/custom/ Anything you want added needs to go in /custom/custom_dir/*. I will show how:

* Reinstalling configs: To keep it simple, you want to make another folder inside /custom/ for your custom things to load, so I created /custom/userstuff/. You CAN then dump any huds, configs and all the stuff you had in /custom/userstuff/ or you CAN keep it dapper and use the VPK tool if you are nerdy, but I wont go into it, the info how is in link on bottom.

So to reinstall my backed up /cfg/ I ended up making my file structure look something like this: /tf/custom/userstuff/cfg/spy.cfg

* Reinstalling HUD’s: Same thing as with cfg – make custom folder under /custom/ It can be the same /userstuff/ as for your cfg, or you can simply make /hud/ folder under /custom/. So /custom/userstuff/* and /custom/hud/* are both acceptable. The final file structure for me looks like /tf/custom/userstuff/resource/clientscheme.res

* Reinstalling plugins: looks like they still are in /tf/addons so no change there, you shouldnt even need to touch them as they are auto moved. Most popular plugins work, however PREC seems to be broken at the moment.

* Installing custom maps for local hosting or custom content to play on sv_pure 0 (like models): Same as previous – Put everything in /custom/mystuff/. So it might look like /custom/mystuff/maps/mge_v8.bsp or /custom/mystuff/materials/naked_models.vmt
 You can local host maps that are in /download/ location if you type map mapname in console, but the names wont come up from GUI main menu. Any custom models need to be in /custom/mystuff/ folder though for them to work!

Also this [Link] is an official article about the change. Read it if you feel nerdy…

TLDR Q/A:
 Q: I transitioned to SteamPipe, Where are my files?!
 A: New TF2 folder is under /steam/steamapps/common/Team Fortress 2/tf and old custom files can be found under /download/ and your config is still under /cfg/ Some class configs probably got deleted..

Q: Where do I put my configs/huds/etc?
 A: /tf/custom/mystuff/* example: /custom/mystuff/cfg/autoexec.cfg

Q: Have loading times improved?
 A: Yes, noticeably, on any system.

Q: Can I install TF2 on different drive(SSD?) than Steam is on atm for ultimate speedyness?
 A: Yes, just reinstall TF2, upon pressing install steam will give you choice where to install it!

Q: PREC doesn’t work?
 A: Yes, looks like it doesn’t :( Other plugins however seem fine.

Q: What about validation problems?
 A: This update is addressed to fix this problem. So fingers crossed and we hopefully wont see it anymore!

Hope it helps, pew pew!

post by Admiral (link to the post)

Maggot

GOOGLE POWERS, BIOTCH
Thanks for the info!

---------------------------

Offline  CrancK
Rocketeer

ehh... what?
dude...
oh ffs... does this mean any plugin i made which references custom content will need to be updated with new paths?

... let's hope it actually fixes the slowness & validation stuff at least, else there'd only be anger from me for this update

Soldier

oh ffs... does this mean any plugin i made which references custom content will need to be updated with new paths?

... let's hope it actually fixes the slowness & validation stuff at least, else there'd only be anger from me for this update
it will fix the slowness tf2 starts a loooot faster on any System.
there are some Problems with plugins that use Special Directorys within the tf Folder. (because of that prec doesnt work he has to know where Demos will be saved...) some plugins do work so you will see^^.

Offline  duppy
Fly

I believe this is the update that converts us over from GCF files to VPK files (they're the huge gigabyte files in Steam/steamapps).  With all the files getting move around and a different file format for the game archives, all SDK tools and third party tools will need to be updated.  We'll be getting a new SDK, but one can only guess whether tools like Hammer will still work properly after everything's converted.

There's some talk (mostly speculation and fears) about SDK changes on the TF2Maps forum here, if interested.

Offline  Drexen
Rocketeer

Quote from: Valve
Q. What are the known issues?

Known bugs:

-The SDK and content creation tools have several major problems. Please bear with us, we are going to get these fixed soon. We don't have any intention of abandoning our content creators!

So yeah, it'll probably be a while before anyone is mapping again

Offline  X_DIAS
Rocketman

The world is a cube
So yeah, it'll probably be a while before anyone is mapping again

ez

laptop going into offline mode for a long time

Offline  QuBA
Soldier

Shouldnt Hammer still work if you just backup your gcfs and copy the maps to the right location manually after compiling? Cant see why it wouldnt, its not like they are actually changing stuff except for moving files around.

Soldier

Shouldnt Hammer still work if you just backup your gcfs and copy the maps to the right location manually after compiling? Cant see why it wouldnt, its not like they are actually changing stuff except for moving files around.
it should not. tf2 loads files diffrent with this update:
tf2 now checks the real data first not the custom Content thats why tf2 now starts faster.
if you now just copy paste files they will not be registered.
we have to see but it should not work anymore.

Offline  QuBA
Soldier

tf2 now checks the real data first not the custom Content thats why tf2 now starts faster.

Well, Hammer doesnt care where Tf2 gets the materials from as long as it still has the gcfs to use for itself.

Offline  QuBA
Soldier

Just tested it and its working fine, so just backup your gcfs if youre using tf2 materials and put them were they originally were.
The update deleted the old mapfolder (and didnt copy any of the maps over...) so youll need to recreate that and manually copy your compiled maps over to the new folder. It also deleted sounds/materials/etc. without copying them to the new directory so just backup your whole tf folder I guess.
But Im gonna assume thats just because its still beta. If that happens when the update hits it would be ridiculous...

Edit: Oh wait, the thread on the mapping forums says: "... you will not be able to access the TF2 configuration in Source SDK." Well I can still do that but I guess that could happen after the update officially launches. Kinda stupid though, there really isnt any reason to do that...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 04:09:59 PM by QuBA »

Offline  Exile
Rocketeer

Couldn't think of something clever to put

Well, Hammer doesnt care where Tf2 gets the materials from as long as it still has the gcfs to use for itself.

Aren't you able to specify where hammer looks for the files in the settings somewhere?

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Soldier

Just tested it and its working fine, so just backup your gcfs if youre using tf2 materials and put them were they originally were.
The update deleted the old mapfolder (and didnt copy any of the maps over...) so youll need to recreate that and manually copy your compiled maps over to the new folder. It also deleted sounds/materials/etc. without copying them to the new directory so just backup your whole tf folder I guess.
But Im gonna assume thats just because its still beta. If that happens when the update hits it would be ridiculous...

yeah thats because of the beta hope this will be fixed otherwise... i dont want to think so xD

Edit: Oh wait, the thread on the mapping forums says: "... you will not be able to access the TF2 configuration in Source SDK." Well I can still do that but I guess that could happen after the update officially launches. Kinda stupid though, there really isnt any reason to do that...
thats really stupid :(

Maggot

Grenade Launcher OP
so where do i put my translucent viewmodels now ?
i have tried putting it as a .vpk in custom, as a folder in custom, leaving it in download and putting it directly into materials/models/weapons. Nothing works
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 07:32:12 AM by Trideon:D »

dumdidumdidum
Youtube:
                Trideon3 (official)
                 trinity37185 (private)

Offline  duppy
Fly

so where do i put my translucent viewmodels now ?
i have tried putting it as a .vpk in custom, as a folder in custom, leaving it in download and putting it directly into materials/models/weapons. Nothing works

I'm waiting for the update on the 30th, but I'm guessing you'd put them in something like:

Code: [Select]
tf/custom/lots_of_custom_stuff/materials/models/weapons/v_rocketlauncher
if you made a vpk of the materials, it would go into tf/custom/lots_of_custom_stuff/

Also, of course you can change "lots_of_custom_stuff" to anything you want.  It's all explained here.

Pages: [1] 2
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC