Forums

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12
Author Topic: Beginnings 2013  (Read 8240 times)
Offline  The BQE
Soldier

Yup Typh looks like a cool map if you can do it; but it seems like it's gonna be the one in this competition that weeds out time submissions to ~10 people, or at least makes the gap in times between top 5 and bottom 5 over an hour :p.

If the curve keeps up it feels like the next 3 weeks will just be watched by the majority as ROTWs.  Though I'm still happy to see new maps to practice on.

If the maps keep getting more difficult by this amount, the "competition" will just be the people who already submit videos.

I don't mind hard maps, but this one isn't even fun and it's only going to get worse. 

Offline  Rokio
Maggot

I can understand this type of curve, assuming that the goal is to determine the absolute "best" jumpers, since times in maps that are too easy would be so close for the top people.  Of course that also means that after the first couple stages it's only the pros who will be competing, which may be what was intended after all, like eliminations in a tournament.

If it was meant to be a friendly competition to get noob and "pubstar" level jumpers invested more in the jumping community, it could have been handled a bit differently I guess.  Maybe that's an option for a future competition.  Something where people of lower skill level can still complete the maps, and are motivated to compete with each other, even though they realize that they won't be beating the big 10 or whatever at the top.  Losing 70% of your competitors after the first week doesn't seem ideal in any case.

It's also just the fact that this is a first attempt at something like this, and since the maps apparently aren't being tested by multiple people beforehand, it's understandably tricky to balance.

Rocketeer

I can understand this type of curve, assuming that the goal is to determine the absolute "best" jumpers, since times in maps that are too easy would be so close for the top people.  Of course that also means that after the first couple stages it's only the pros who will be competing, which may be what was intended after all, like eliminations in a tournament.

If it was meant to be a friendly competition to get noob and "pubstar" level jumpers invested more in the jumping community, it could have been handled a bit differently I guess.  Maybe that's an option for a future competition.  Something where people of lower skill level can still complete the maps, and are motivated to compete with each other, even though they realize that they won't be beating the big 10 or whatever at the top.  Losing 70% of your competitors after the first week doesn't seem ideal in any case.

It's also just the fact that this is a first attempt at something like this, and since the maps apparently aren't being tested by multiple people beforehand, it's understandably tricky to balance.
The last map will be very difficult, jump_torii like.
And all the map are tested. And if we need to keep all the maps on the level of orbital, that would be boring and no cool jumps will be involved. And the best jump also means being able to complete the hardest jumps. Not do the easy ones fast.

---------------------------

Offline  The BQE
Soldier

So basically this is a competition for the top five who we already know are the top five.   

Rocketeer

Did you? I didn't know.

And who's the best?

Offline  The BQE
Soldier

Look at the players making ROTW vids.  We already know they're good.

Rocketeer

WAIT A MINUTE!

You think nightin is good?

Offline  The BQE
Soldier

Uh his ROTW's are pretty awesome.

Offline  X_DIAS
Rocketman

The world is a cube
i have a rotw, can i haz best jumpah prize naow?

Rocketeer

You'll get the consolation prize.

Fly

video games
wow people hating on typh
good let the anger fill you

but yes i agree some jumps are shit but i don't really care because it's too late to change anything and mapping is shit

Offline  RNC1839
Maggot

but yes i agree some jumps are shit but i don't really care because it's too late to change anything and mapping is shit

I don't hate typh. I just... uh... ok yeah I hate it but it is still a good map... actually no it's only about 77% not shit. Fuck 6 and 8 so hard.

Anyway here's a video I put together of my "perfect" strats for 7,8, and 9. I actually made music for this video as well so enjoy that.

jump_typh_a1 jump variations

Fly

video games

I don't hate typh. I just... uh... ok yeah I hate it but it is still a good map... actually no it's only about 77% not shit. Fuck 6 and 8 so hard.

Anyway here's a video I put together of my "perfect" strats for 7,8, and 9. I actually made music for this video as well so enjoy that.

jump_typh_a1 jump variations

let the anger control you
soon it will consume you
also the only okay speedrun strat in that video would be jump 7 everything else is too slow

oops i didn't watch until the end #9 was almost the intended method actually but i made it too easy due to complaints now it's super cheatable
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 02:47:45 AM by PwnerJohn »

Offline  RNC1839
Maggot

the only okay speedrun strat in that video would be jump 7 everything else is too slow

I agree, but I'm not very good and those strats are easier (for me) for some voodoo magic wibbly wobbly reason.
Also speed isn't my main concern (yes I know it's a speedrun shut up), it's more important that I finish at all, also only about 8 people are going to submit times.

Fly

video games

the issue is, Afterglow didn't really designate how hard the maps should have been. if we were given more time and more maps to compare to, the curve would have been much better and everyone should have been able to do stage 3. maps are being tested, but not by the runners themselves as they would have gained an advantage to the maps. This means we (I) am not able to get the spacing and everything correctly.

also bqe you suck anyways 0/10

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC