Forums

Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What to do about Surf iT  (Read 2858 times)
Offline  Cryo
Maggot

What?
some of the plugins from the css ksf surf servers would be pretty amazing for both the jump server and surf server imo.

things like the world record check point part of the timer. this tracks how fast you beat a stage, so you can see how efficiently you're doing the stage compared to others. the map keeps record of your rank for that stage, so it adds a little bit more of a timed/competition aspect without requiring as much perfection as far beating an entire map without failing.

a stage teleport plugin would be really nice too. this allows someone to teleport to any stage on the map to practice it or whatever. obviously you cannot use this while doing a timed run, or rather, it'll cancel your timed run if you use it. but for people that get stuck on one stage forever and would just like to try the next one, this would probably be a great function. additionally it makes practicing a stage you have trouble with a lot nicer for pro players trying to do speed runs.

i'm not sure how much effort these would take to make as i know practically nothing about mods, but they would be great additions to the servers. maybe Panzer is already working on something like this as i've heard he's working on a timer mod (and he's very familiar with ksf servers) - wishful thinking!  :)

Everything you mentioned is done, just being improved.

---------------------------

Soldier

a stage teleport plugin would be really nice too. this allows someone to teleport to any stage on the map to practice it or whatever. obviously you cannot use this while doing a timed run, or rather, it'll cancel your timed run if you use it. but for people that get stuck on one stage forever and would just like to try the next one, this would probably be a great function. additionally it makes practicing a stage you have trouble with a lot nicer for pro players trying to do speed runs.

In regards to this, JA has support for this. The thing is that you have to complete each map (touch the cp, or all the cps.. cant remember) to use it. Also you have to set coordinates for each jump in each map. Which is a big pain in the ass. Also it seems like there are issues saving things to the database per map, but maybe thats just me (specifying a team color for a map sorta stuff). So I have no idea if surf iT even runs JA, but ya... lol anywho..

-edit
It would be nice to get this fully setup and add a few more commands to make it more useful (like !skipjump, etc), but a few things would have to be added to JA, which I think is unlikely unless its open source or someone else besides rush has permission to add to it.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 11:46:52 AM by drwhooo »

Maggot

:< (Also Freddie Stache)
Well, I think we all know that the reason SurfIt's so empty is that I'm not there.

P.S. This is a joke, I'm hated by ALL the people.

I love a man named Gore, and one named Bloody.

Maggot

I enjoy going to Surfit daily.
I have noticed a decline in visitors, however there are still a few that join every once and a while including myself.

Perhaps, there could be a bit of "advertising" to get the server out to skilled css surfers, that are not "fags" or "the "pros"", that might enjoy a bit of Tf2 surf.

I still love Surfit and I wouldn't like it if it were gone.~ :(

Not all the new maps are shit :<
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 05:42:27 PM by MikkiChan »

Fly

Safe Word: Banana
I run this shit

-edit
It would be nice to get this fully setup and add a few more commands to make it more useful (like !skipjump, etc), but a few things would have to be added to JA, which I think is unlikely unless its open source or someone else besides rush has permission to add to it.

I have the source and am in charge of the project now.  The problem is as you mentioned--we have to document every single jump on every single map or the implementation will be incomplete.  We have a hard enough time getting everyone to set the team color of a map.  This is surely something we can overcome and the presence/access to a global database like the one I run for the stats will help.

SurfiT does not run JA at the moment and a more specialized addon fits surfing anyways.  We can move the JA discussion to another forum (not surfing related) to come up with a game plan for JA updates and changes.

▮ TF2Jump.com Owner, Developer
▮ iT Lead Administrator

Offline  Klanana
Rocketman

iT! Servers Owner
Team Spec Extraordinaire
I went in to update the announcements last week and noticed 2 new ones btw...

"12"
   {
      "type"         "S"
      "text"         "{GREEN}[Surf iT] {DEFAULT}- {LIGHTGREEN}Can't beat a stage? Type !stage to enter any stage in practice mode."
      "flags"         ""
   }
   "13"
   {
      "type"         "S"
      "text"         "{GREEN}[Surf iT] {DEFAULT}- {LIGHTGREEN}Type !bonus to access the bonus selection menu."
      "flags"         ""
   }

I am so out of the loop i feel like im in the triangle next door. Kelao can u or panzer explain exactly what all is coming to surf it?I would hate for 2 people to literal;y be working on the same thing...

Jump iT - 64.74.97.15:27015 | JuJump iT - 74.91.113.66:27015 | Surf iT - 216.52.143.76:27015
Bball iT - 74.91.113.9:27015 | MGE iT - 74.91.122.39:27015

Offline  dellort
Rocketeer

Video Maker Extraordinaire
Panzer added a plugin which allows you to access any of the stages of a map for practice, which of course cancels the timer to prevent cheating speedruns. He set it up for 3-4 maps I think but a majority don't have it yet.

Offline  Zigzter
Fly

To attract CSS surfers you'll probably need more maps that are broken into two stages at the MOST.

I come from CSS surfing, and absolutely hate TF2 surfing because everything is cut up into tiny stages.
(Also partly because of the type of people I see frequent it via IRC, but that's another story.)

Pages: 1 [2]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC