Forums

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What to do about Surf iT  (Read 2858 times)
Offline  Klanana
Rocketman

iT! Servers Owner
Team Spec Extraordinaire
So I have been trying to figure out for a while what to do about Surf iT... I am sure anyone who reads IRC is aware that the server has died out drastically... and as much as I love the surfers and that server, I just hate paying for a server that is absolutely dead 75% of the day. Just to give you an idea of where it was a few months ago and its current state, here are the usage charts of all the servers:

So I wanted to get some feedback from those of you who actually play there... what is the deal? Is it worth trying to save the server? Or should I move on to something else...

---------------------------

Jump iT - 64.74.97.15:27015 | JuJump iT - 74.91.113.66:27015 | Surf iT - 216.52.143.76:27015
Bball iT - 74.91.113.9:27015 | MGE iT - 74.91.122.39:27015

Offline  Wolsk
Rocketeer

i love you
Yeah, I realized that the surf server has been very empty lately, too.  I don't know if anyone will like this idea, but I think the server should have both DM maps and skill surf.  A lot of the surf maps are very hard for a lot of people, and being able to kill on an easy surf map usually helps.  I've noticed that deathmatch surf servers are usually more full than skill surf servers.

I'm not really expected anyone to agree with this idea, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

klanana:  I DID NOT EAT THE CAT
dellort: This mod is pretty cool, just wish the devs would fix the bug that allows MIKE to play on it.

Offline  Klanana
Rocketman

iT! Servers Owner
Team Spec Extraordinaire
My only thing about changing to a DM server is the real end game goal of the servers is to drive new people to try jumping... and surf it did bring in a lot of new jumpers as it was SKILL surf, not DM. Plus there are lots of DM servers out there, and I want to focus more on the less popular niche's, which is why I have gone with skill surf, bball, and mge (though the mge server is crazy popular... diff topic though...). I really wouldnt want to go the DM route... I just want the old surfit back  :(

Jump iT - 64.74.97.15:27015 | JuJump iT - 74.91.113.66:27015 | Surf iT - 216.52.143.76:27015

Offline  Diddy
Rocketeer

Maybe it will go back to being popular again.  I know jump it was pretty dead a decent amount of time earlier this year.  Then it sorted of traded off with surf it which sort of died out and jump it became really popular like it is now.

Edit:  Tried Reddit, but I dunno how well this will go.  http://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/nkkq7/hey_rtf2_i_wanted_to_let_you_know_about_a/ Hopefully it doesn't just go unnoticed.

Edit:  Well I tried.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 12:05:42 AM by DiddyKong FTW »

some people just shouldnt be aloud to have internet accesss

Offline  Klanana
Rocketman

iT! Servers Owner
Team Spec Extraordinaire
Jesus diddy... that was awesome!!

SAVING SURFIT! 1 REDDIT POST AT A TIME!

Offline  Cryo
Maggot

What?
Stuff happens. Especially around this time, a lot of the regulars have things to do. Also, Panzer has put a lot of work into the new timer system, so when that's finished, SurfIT will have something that is brand new to surfing in TF2.

But I think the server should have both DM maps and skill surf

I would personally leave and never come back if that happens. There are plenty of DM servers and many new servers being created.

I just hate paying for a server that is absolutely dead 75% of the day

*cough*Bball*cough*. I don't care if it was $8 and you saved 2 dollars by not having an STV on JumpIT, but with MGEit, BBall just doesn't seem too appealing.

Like Diddy said, this happens to servers a lot. I won't tell you how to run your servers and if you want to remove it it's your choice, however you'll lose a part of the community, and many people, like me, will move on to other places and forget this.

Offline  Diddy
Rocketeer

Just thought couldn't you just drop the max players significantly until you see it start to be full a lot of the time so that it won't cost as much?  And yeah isn't BBall pretty much always dead?  I see less people in there than in surf it ever.  I know it costs less money so it might not be as big of a deal but it's still pretty much always dead from what I can tell.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 12:47:37 AM by DiddyKong FTW »

some people just shouldnt be aloud to have internet accesss

Offline  Klanana
Rocketman

iT! Servers Owner
Team Spec Extraordinaire
Also, Panzer has put a lot of work into the new timer system, so when that's finished, SurfIT will have something that is brand new to surfing in TF2.

I actually had NO idea that panzer was working on a new timer system... and maybe thats the other issue - I'm out of the loop. I assumed Kelao gave him access to the server (as he was crashing it/restarting it like a madman one day!) but I had NO idea he was working on any projects. I would actually like to hear a bit more about this...

I would personally leave and never come back if that happens. There are plenty of DM servers and many new servers being created.

That is the main reason why I wouldn't ever want to convert it to a DM server - I like having servers that are relatively unique, which skill surf as opposed to DM seems like its pretty rare. Plus I did have the opportunity to spend a little time on a DM server a lot of our surfers frequent, and quite frankly, I felt like I was hanging out with a bunch of middle school kids. I know I call the servers my "children", but shit... I don't want them to actually be filled with a bunch of whining, screaming kids (which was the impression of DM servers I now have planted in my head).

*cough*Bball*cough*. I don't care if it was $8 and you saved 2 dollars by not having an STV on JumpIT, but with MGEit, BBall just doesn't seem too appealing.

This is a very valid point, and tbh I had no clue MGE had bball in it - again the main reason I like having the bball server is because it is so unique, but it may definitely retire soon - I just want to be sure that MGE BBall really is the same as the bball server. I know that server is empty a lot, but for those people who do enjoy playing I know its a pain in the ass to find a server actually set up correctly - which Bball iT finally is. The topic isnt called 'What to do about Bball iT' though, so back to the server in discussion.

Like Diddy said, this happens to servers a lot. I won't tell you how to run your servers and if you want to remove it it's your choice, however you'll lose a part of the community,

I can completely understand a server dropping in popularity - I just wanted to see from you guys what happened (in your opinion) to cause such a rapid drop so quickly. When the server first started I know the other skill surf server everyone played on had just closed its doors, so all those people seemed to kind of migrate to Surf iT - did EVERYONE just lose interest in skill surf? Or is there another server out there that people are playing on now? I don't know it's just strange to me how the server was literally booming with people for months... then almost like a light switch it was dead. I think that is more what I was looking for with this post - what happened and is there something I can do to revive it. I was more being sarcastic in my post saying I would move on to something else (sarcasm + text = fail) because I do love the surf it community, and like I have said many times before - I won't stop providing you guys with servers until the very last person leaves - or until I get knocked up (whichever comes first). So I apologize if this came off as a "IM SHUTTING DOWN SURF IT" threat because that wasnt the actual intention - just looking for answers.

and many people, like me, will move on to other places and forget this.

1 word: harsh. And actually really sad that the servers/community are that easily forgettable.

Offline  dellort
Rocketeer

Video Maker Extraordinaire
1. It's Christmas time and most people are too busy to spend much time on video games right now (even I haven't been on for almost two weeks).

2. We need more maps. maps maps maps maps maps
I know one of the main reasons why I stopped jumping regularly is that it got to the point where I'd beaten every map on the server and I couldn't find anything new to do. If I have time over Christmas break I'm going to try and convert a few maps from CS:S for the server (it would be cool if some of the other surfers did this too, even just one map each and we'd have a fair number of new maps to put on).

Offline  Kelao
Maggot

2. We need more maps. maps maps maps maps maps
I know one of the main reasons why I stopped jumping regularly is that it got to the point where I'd beaten every map on the server and I couldn't find anything new to do. If I have time over Christmas break I'm going to try and convert a few maps from CS:S for the server (it would be cool if some of the other surfers did this too, even just one map each and we'd have a fair number of new maps to put on).

I'd be converting more maps if the new ones weren't all so shit.

Offline  Klanana
Rocketman

iT! Servers Owner
Team Spec Extraordinaire
Dropped Surf iT to 10 players

Soldier

Just a few of my random thoughts on this...

School did "recently" start. You may actually see a pickup in players in the next 2 weeks and drop back to whatever again.

Having a new shiny can be a big factor. For awhile, back when I first started jumping, things were kinda on the decline - not very many new maps, no real communities besides chillout (newbs was on the fritz). Things kinda picked up with some new maps and a more global community started forming up.

Even though this is more of a single player aspect of a game, the part that is competitive (speed running) drives interest. Its very hard to balance challenging maps and easy of access though so getting new people hooked can be hard (this goes for surfing and jumping). I could go on and on and on down this tangent but anyway...

I think major key to generate interest would be new content and finding out what things can be improved on in surfing. (better plugins? something new to add to maps? (think floating stickies in regards to jumping - even if its kinda gimicky)

As for a quick fix to reduce cost, lowering slots as you did would be the best option. When it starts picking up again (or not - hopefully not not >.>) you can up it again without any loss to the community that is currently around.

Offline  Klanana
Rocketman

iT! Servers Owner
Team Spec Extraordinaire
Yeah I lowered the players today because I am about to be billed for the next month... and if i lower it after that theres no compensation or anything so I figured I would just do it. I can understand school and such, but if you look at the decline in the past 2 months it is obviously not that. I was told theres another skill server out there now that some of our familiar faces have been playing on lately, which may also be where people have gone. It just makes me curious what is better over there that people who are admins on surfit find more appealing.

I've also noticed a huge decline in some of our regulars attitudes on the server over the last couple months... to the point where I had to go and perma mute people who only a few months ago i was good buddies with. I hate to say it but quite often lately I have felt like I am paying for a place for people to belittle and talk shit to me, when I've done nothing to them. UGH I feel my monthly lady hormones starting to creep up on me... so I'll stop the emo rant there.

Maggot

From what i saw today surf iT was very well populated, so i think what dr whoo says about school ending kick starting the server is going to be right on the money.

Offline  MIKE`
Fly

some of the plugins from the css ksf surf servers would be pretty amazing for both the jump server and surf server imo.

things like the world record check point part of the timer. this tracks how fast you beat a stage, so you can see how efficiently you're doing the stage compared to others. the map keeps record of your rank for that stage, so it adds a little bit more of a timed/competition aspect without requiring as much perfection as far beating an entire map without failing.

a stage teleport plugin would be really nice too. this allows someone to teleport to any stage on the map to practice it or whatever. obviously you cannot use this while doing a timed run, or rather, it'll cancel your timed run if you use it. but for people that get stuck on one stage forever and would just like to try the next one, this would probably be a great function. additionally it makes practicing a stage you have trouble with a lot nicer for pro players trying to do speed runs.

i'm not sure how much effort these would take to make as i know practically nothing about mods, but they would be great additions to the servers. maybe Panzer is already working on something like this as i've heard he's working on a timer mod (and he's very familiar with ksf servers) - wishful thinking!  :)

Pages: [1] 2
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC