Forums

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: My First Rocketjumping movie (teaser, reaction-gatherer)  (Read 1624 times)
Maggot

Hey there, awesome and slightly intimidating pro-rocket jumpers... I've compiled a few demo files and thrown them together in a hopefully entertaining way. I've been working on this for a little while, and I was wondering if people actually like what I have so far, or if I should just abandon ship on this. This is my first jumper film (basically my first film of anything), and it is only a teaser. I just want to get an idea of what people think.

Deuces-
Mr Matty
Got Ups? (Preview/Teaser) Small | Large
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 08:49:13 PM by Mr Matty »

---------------------------
Mr Matty

Offline  Diddy
Rocketeer

Too many speedshots.  And it looks sloppy when you include a jump that clearly failed at the end (approx 1:08 the badlands jump)  And that brightness increase around 1:06 or so seems so random and out of place, being the only real effect used in pretty much the entire video, aside from the slowmo at the start (which you've probably noticed makes it look really choppy).  And the transition to each jump being a fade out/fade in gets rather repetitive. 

I don't like it.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 10:47:06 PM by DiddyKong FTW »

some people just shouldnt be aloud to have internet accesss

Maggot

I guess I thank you for you blunt honesty... project abandoned?..

Mr Matty

Offline  Diddy
Rocketeer

Well no don't abandon it, I'm just saying I don't like it.  I don't think one guys opinion would be enough for me to stop making something.  Honestly you could have no editing but have cool jumps and that'd be fine with me.  Was my main problem, thee jumps were just pretty bland to me.  I'd prefer cooler jumps over nifty editing.  Of course both combined is better though.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 11:02:32 PM by DiddyKong FTW »

some people just shouldnt be aloud to have internet accesss

Maggot

Well, as I've said, I don't really have access to even half-decent software, and I only have been rocketjumping for like ~40 some hours. I don't have that many tricks up my sleeve. The main theme though I guess is the timing of the jumps with the beat of the song, but I spose that didn't make that much of an impression either.

Mr Matty

Offline  CrancK
Rocketeer

ehh... what?
dude...
for a guy rjing for 40 hours... insane

Soldier

Very carefully
if you like doing it don't abandon it just try to get better, I think you should try to think of better jumps before you bother editing a movie out of them but you have a solid start at least. Mainly try to think of jumps that look better, it doesn't look good to hit some random speedshot and fly into a wall and then fall.

Offline  Wolsk
Rocketeer

i love you
for a guy rjing for 40 hours... insane
Exactly what I was thinking.

klanana:  I DID NOT EAT THE CAT
dellort: This mod is pretty cool, just wish the devs would fix the bug that allows MIKE to play on it.

Soldier

For the amount of time you have been jumping and for your first video, its pretty good. If this is something that interests you, bug dellort and/or other ppl who have put out videos (when it comes to editing).

As cond said, think about your jumps and how you want them to look in the video. Learn to use a local sourcetv cam to record with. There are a lot of ways to go with this sort of thing. It just depends on how far you want to get into the post editing of the footage. (dellort can shed some light on how much time he would put into a vid im sure)

overall, its rough, but a good start :)

Maggot

Wow, thanks to everyone for the praise. I just try to get the basics of the rocket down. I know these jumps aren't spectacular, and neither is the editing. I just wish I had sony vegas or something D:
I will experiment with sourcetv. I've tried to make it work, but somehow it doesn't want to activate and record... I'll look for a tut.
I'll get busy on improving it I guess :3

Mr Matty

Offline  CrancK
Rocketeer

ehh... what?
dude...
in console:

tv_enable 1

then mapchange to let stv connect

then use:

tv_record demonamehere

and stv records

use:

tv_stop (or tv_stoprecord, not sure atm) to stop recording

you can find them in the servers /tf/ folder

Offline  dellort
Rocketeer

Video Maker Extraordinaire
in console:

tv_enable 1

then use:

tv_record demonamehere

and stv records

use:

tv_stop (or tv_stoprecord, not sure atm) to stop recording

you can find them in the servers /tf/ folder

If you use tv_stop it will kick the stv and you'll lose your demo... tv_stoprecord is what you want.

Offline  MIKE`
Fly

it also depends what audience you're making the video for. most people around these forums are either good, or very good at jumping. it's much harder to impress a pro jumper than the average person.

but honestly, you should just make your own judgements of the video - if you think it sucks, then you probably shouldn't release it in hopes of others enjoying it. but if you're proud of it, release it - if people don't like it, well, work on it and try it again if you enjoy doing it.

Offline  Hadokk
Rocketeer

Bball Server Filler Upper
Okay
in console:
tv_enable 1
Then...

You can also have a cfg file made called autoexec.cfg and put various commands in it, so you don't have to think about it everytime you're going to make a stv demo etc. What it does is it runs those commands so you don't have to and it saves you some time, so tv_enable is 1 all the time and you don't have to switch maps to have it going. Not sure if sv_cheats 1 is possible, I reckon it isn't, but anyway autoexec is ftw and it goes in here:
<Steam Folder>\SteamApps\<account_name>\team fortress 2\tf\cfg\autoexec.cfg

edit: some stuff
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 02:17:11 AM by Hadokk »

Maggot

Thanks for that autoexec idea, that really helps with alot more cmds I use alot.
Also, is this any better? Just one jump.
JumpsWell Small | Large
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 09:11:55 PM by Mr Matty »

Mr Matty

Pages: [1] 2
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC