Forums

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: [OPINION] Movie Making  (Read 886 times)
Maggot

As known as Thenewkillers
Hi everybody !

I guess I'm new in TF2 Jump community, so I'll first introduce myself.

I'm Weap0wned, a young French TF2 player and also a jump addict. I've discovered this website while watching at all  Dellort's awesome movies on YouTube. I decided to sign in because on this forum people seems to be nice even with beginners.
I jump only with soldier, I guess when I'll improve my skills I'll start demo. I'm not really good at jumping, I finished jump_aventure but that's all. I'm not really confident with wallpogo, speedpogo and synchronizing rockets.
Finally, I'm a movie maker (not expert movies), I'm using Adobe Premiere CS6.
Here is my first movie, as a Sniper :

[TF2] Headshot - A TF2 Sniper Movie

I'm also going to create my own website with all my creations.

That's it for the boring part (sorry about that), let's talk about something more interesting.

I'm going to realize a new TF2 movie called "Ghost" (?), this will be my first jump movie. During this video, I'll go through all the jump_aventure map as a soldier. My problem is : what softwares/tools should I use to take scenes ? I need to have first person view, third person view and also other cameras. Here are my different ideas :

Fraps : really powerfull software, the one I used for my precedent movie, but only for first (and also third) person view (I have to record all by my own, at the same time I play). I guess it's the perfect one for first person view.

Source Movie Maker : also awesome tool (thanks Valve), even if you don't use animations. I thought it can be useful for camera views, but I didn't use it often before.

Replay : I never use it. I don't even know how it works, so if you're using it, tell me if it will help me :)

Others : I saw on a random post this message :

You can record both types of demos at the same time. Start up a server, type "tv_enable 1". Reload the map, then type "tv_record jump" and "record jump". Leave at least 500 ticks before and after the jump, once you've recorded it type "stop" and "tv_stoprecord".

I don't know what he was talking about, and I cannot check this because I'm in Canada so I don't have access to my computer (this message was posted with an iTouch).

I guess that's all I'm thinking about, thanks for your help and have a nice day :)

Weap0wned

PS: please excuse my horrible English, I'm just sixteen so that's a really hard for me to express myself in English :/

---------------------------
Headshot - A TF2 Sniper Movie (my first one)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQgGwpxU3OA

Rocketeer

Others : I saw on a random post this message :

You can record both types of demos at the same time. Start up a server, type "tv_enable 1". Reload the map, then type "tv_record jump" and "record jump". Leave at least 500 ticks before and after the jump, once you've recorded it type "stop" and "tv_stoprecord".

I don't know what he was talking about

I think it was Dellort who said that. You can record a POV and STV demo at the same time in a serveryou create. Open the console, type "tv_enable 1". Load the map you want to play through the console with "map "name of the map"". Once loaded, open the concole, type: tv_record "name of the demo"" and "record "name of the demo"" and to stop it  type "stop" and "tv_stoprecord". Now you should have two demos in your tf file. One is a POV demo and the other is a STV demo.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 01:41:20 PM by Dr. Heinz »

Maggot

Hi, and thanks for quick answer.

I have several questions about what you told me :
- what are POV and STV ? Movie format ?
- the files wil be saved in tf folder, that's what you said ?
- what difference between recording with this tool and using Fraps ? What about cameras, is that first person view ?

Anyway thanks for your answer, I'll try it when I'll be home :)

Rocketman

- what difference between recording with this tool and using Fraps ? What about cameras, is that first person view ?

POV stands for point of view.  When you just record a demo normally, you're recording it from your point of view.  STV is something built into all Source games.  SourceTV.  When you host a local server type these few lines.

Code: [Select]
tv_enable 1This will enable STV
map MAPNAMEThis reload's the map, STV won't be enabled until a reload
tv_record DEMONAMEStarts the stv demo recording.

type
tv_stoprecord when done.

Basically, this is from a spectator's point of view.  You can use free camera, check every player, third person, etc.  Your normal Point of view will only allow first person, and a very bad third person through use of cheat commands.  STV demos are how you see all the angles from far away.

Maggot

Your answer is really clear and complete, thanks a lot for that.

However, this seems pretty great, but I guess it will need at least 2 players, because you can't play and record as spectator at the same time, right ? Maybe should I record first view like this, and use another solution for cameras (for example on SMM you can use cameras after have played). Anyway tell me if I'm wrong :/
I guess this type of recording seems perfect for movies, so maybe I'll should ask a friend to help me ;)

Thanks again for everything, and enjoy your day.

EDIT : I supposed I'm wrong, because that's a local server, so another guy can't join the map.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 01:28:22 PM by Weap0wned »

Rocketman

Your answer is really clear and complete, thanks a lot for that.

However, this seems pretty great, but I guess it will need at least 2 players, because you can't play and record as spectator at the same time, right ? Maybe should I record first view like this, and use another solution for cameras (for example on SMM you can use cameras after have played). Anyway tell me if I'm wrong :/
I guess this type of recording seems perfect for movies, so maybe I'll should ask a friend to help me ;)

Thanks again for everything, and enjoy your day.

EDIT : I supposed I'm wrong, because that's a local server, so another guy can't join the map.

SourceTV IS the spectator.  That's why we enable it.  When you tv_record, it will get EVERYTHING a spectator can see.  Every player, and free cam of the map.  But just like being in spectator, it can look a little bit laggy.

Rocketeer

For the thing Kairu did not yet anwser.
- They are demos, so you still got to record those. The demo will be saved as demoname.dem
- To find your tf folder: C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\[username]\team fortress 2\tf\

EDIT: To play your demos. Either type in the console "playdemo "demoname"" or press Shift+F2. A small menu opens where you can load , fast forward or go to a specific tick and there are some other functions.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 01:54:32 PM by Dr. Heinz »

Maggot

That's AWESOME :o I never knew TF2 could do that !
I have to try ASAP.

Anyway last question about this : in the dellort's movies for example, I never saw the number of munitions, or life, or any information displayed (I guess that's better), is it because of a script, of the demo, or any command ?

Offline  Drexen
Rocketeer

cl_drawhud 0

Maggot

Perfect, I guess I have all I need :)
Thanks everyone for your help, and enjoy TF2 !

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC