Forums

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: ducktap  (Read 4692 times)
Offline  Jesus
Maggot

I've never really figured out ducktapping. All i really know is that you need to push crouch before space and m1, am I missing something?

Offline  Diddy
Rocketeer

It's not real, it's all a lie.
I wish this was true and I wasn't actually just terrible and will forever be unable to do it

---------------------------
some people just shouldnt be aloud to have internet accesss

Offline  sync
Maggot

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm-BGnaBCgE&t=5m57s Small | Large

This video explains it really well although everytime I mention ctapping to a good jumper they say I shouldn't do it.

edit: For some reason he won't start the embedded video at the time I linked it to so you need to click my link to get to the part.

Offline  ismillo
Maggot

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm-BGnaBCgE&t=5m57s

This video explains it really well although everytime I mention ctapping to a good jumper they say I shouldn't do it.

edit: For some reason he won't start the embedded video at the time I linked it to so you need to click my link to get to the part.

This is really helpfull, Duck Tapping always is a problem to me (and to a lot of jumpers).
Thank you for posting.

Offline  Jesus
Maggot

mmm, that video explains it nicely. guess i'll start practicing it :p

Offline  MIKE`
Fly

what good jumper tells you you shouldn't ctap?

Offline  duppy
Fly

I was kinda curious to see what the difference is between regular crouch jumping and ctap'ing, so I made a simple map to test it out.  After about a hundred tries with each, I was able to jump 612 hammer units high with crouch jumping, and 620 units with ctap'ing. Only 8 units difference for me, but I'm not well practiced in ctap'ing so maybe someone else could test.  Doesn't seem like you're missing out on much, but I dunno.

Offline  QuBA
Soldier

Well, its basically cheating since all the maps are intended to be played without and it does give you a significant advantage...

Still can be useful to be able to do it though.

Offline  sync
Maggot

Someone on chillout zone, don't want to accuse anybody falsely

Still can be useful to be able to do it though.
But aren't there jumps on new maps that require you to ctap? (I think 4starters for example had one)

Offline  Drexen
Rocketeer

ctap iz stoopid (i think quite a lot of admins on chillout dont like it)

Offline  Diddy
Rocketeer

Does seem like it's mostly the Euro's who dislike it.  I don't really think like anyone in Jump It thinks it's dumb/cheating (which it arguably is cheating, if you consider cheating beating it in a way that is easier and wasn't designed around it)

But aren't there jumps on new maps that require you to ctap? (I think 4starters for example had one)
The jump on 4starters doesn't require it but is probably designed to be one, just not high enough.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 10:49:00 AM by DiddyKong FTW »

---------------------------
some people just shouldnt be aloud to have internet accesss

Soldier

Very carefully
generally whenever we talk about ctaps the euros don't like them and everybody in na thinks they're fine (jump maps wise at least). For normal tf2 they're obviously not cheating and worth knowing how to do at least.

Rocketman

The jump on 4starters doesn't require it but is probably designed to be one, just not high enough.

It's not even designed to be one, it's just designed to be a standard rocket jump done well.

Offline  MIKE`
Fly

that's fine that it shouldn't be used on jumps that weren't designed around using it - but frowning upon learning something that anyone can learn is silly imo. especially when considering it's probably one of the most if not the most useful thing to learn for anything jump related OUTSIDE of jump maps.

Offline  Drexen
Rocketeer

The main reason we (I) don't like ctap much is because im lazy, cant be bothered learning it, and it makes so many maps easier/cheatable.... (like raiins flawless runs?, kinda cheating quite a few jumps with ctap). anyway, it doesn't bother me, and it'll only bother me if i get stuck on jumps that require me to ctap.

Pages: [1] 2
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC