Forums

Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: jump_legion_beta3  (Read 5300 times)
Rocketman

No tears now; only dreams
jump_legion_beta3 dl link: http://www.mediafire.com/?rvodu28l1aotvnu

old stuff in spoiler
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 11:51:48 AM by Afterglow »

---------------------------

Offline  X_DIAS
Rocketman

The world is a cube
you'r going crazy with mappin'

ez course seems fun for speed

Few things:

-do you really want j4 to be there?
-j7, move it or tweak it
-j8, bad jump imo
-j10 i like this one a lot
-j12 missing trigger_hurt

Rocketman

Lovin' that you're putting out so much.  Always fun to get new stuff.

So a few things that crossed my mind:

- Jump 8: I really just didn't like this one, such a tight strafe that you also need to keep speed for.  It felt hard in a frustrating way, rather than a fun hard.

- Jumps 9+10: Both pretty fun, liked these the most.

- Jump 13: This is only true of the way I was doing it, not sure if that's the intent or not, if not, ignore.  I was syncing two on the end of the ramp on the way down, firing one on the red downward slant so I could slide, then tripling off the end of the ramp.  I just felt that the start wasn't quite high enough, I could barely get the 4th rocket in for the triple. Even if its not by much, raising the start, or raising the skybox a little bit would be cool. Maybe that'd make it too easy though, not sure.

- Jump 14: Shares a problem with 10, but it isn't really relevant in 10.  The white floor can be shot, so after the second wallshot, you can shoot the floor for a quick skip up to the next wall. Not sure if this was intended or not, as I had to stop here due to time, but yeah.

- Jump 15: Noclipped in just to look at it, and seems cool, but, teleporting back from the point to head back to a previous jump seems pretty inconvenient, as you're locked down there and need to climb out. Maybe add a small hole you can walk in to teleport back to the start of 15?

Rocketman

you'r going crazy with mappin'

ez course seems fun for speed

Few things:

-do you really want j4 to be there?
-j7, move it or tweak it
-j8, bad jump imo
-j10 i like this one a lot
-j12 missing trigger_hurt

What's wrong with 4?

7 is necessary, or at least some form of ctap, cuz I tested every lvl after that with ctap, so some of them might be impossible without it.

8 seems to be unpopular... just my attempt at at something different, i'll remove it if ppl rly hate it

Lovin' that you're putting out so much.  Always fun to get new stuff.

So a few things that crossed my mind:

- Jump 8: I really just didn't like this one, such a tight strafe that you also need to keep speed for.  It felt hard in a frustrating way, rather than a fun hard.

- Jumps 9+10: Both pretty fun, liked these the most.

- Jump 13: This is only true of the way I was doing it, not sure if that's the intent or not, if not, ignore.  I was syncing two on the end of the ramp on the way down, firing one on the red downward slant so I could slide, then tripling off the end of the ramp.  I just felt that the start wasn't quite high enough, I could barely get the 4th rocket in for the triple. Even if its not by much, raising the start, or raising the skybox a little bit would be cool. Maybe that'd make it too easy though, not sure.

- Jump 14: Shares a problem with 10, but it isn't really relevant in 10.  The white floor can be shot, so after the second wallshot, you can shoot the floor for a quick skip up to the next wall. Not sure if this was intended or not, as I had to stop here due to time, but yeah.

- Jump 15: Noclipped in just to look at it, and seems cool, but, teleporting back from the point to head back to a previous jump seems pretty inconvenient, as you're locked down there and need to climb out. Maybe add a small hole you can walk in to teleport back to the start of 15?

13 is just 2 rockets shot at the end, one when you land on the slidy ramp and then just collide with the two rockets you shot earlier. The way you suggested seems way harder to pull off, but if you get it you'd go way beyond ending platform with a triple

ya I noticed that about 14, but I'm confident it won't help you

and for 15 I'll think of somethin for the end tele

Offline  HBC
Maggot

awk
7 is necessary, or at least some form of ctap, cuz I tested every lvl after that with ctap, so some of them might be impossible without it.

that seems kind of sloppy imo, you shouldn't make jumps that require ctaps without knowing if it can be done otherwise. i feel like ctaps should be more like an option rather than a requirement unless the jump specifically focuses on the ctap itself

Offline  QuBA
Soldier

cuz I tested every lvl after that with ctap
Have to agree with HBC on that, that seems like a really really bad idea oO

Rocketman

how is it a bad idea? ctapping is just like any other part of jumping... if you can't ctap, you simply won't be able to finish my map.

there are too many jumps that are made easy with ctapping, and I didn't want that, so I chose to make it all require ctapping.

Offline  QuBA
Soldier

Now theres no way to tell if youre supposed to do it without ctaps or if youre just making it hard for you by trying without.
Also, a lot of people dont like ctaps/hate it, so by doing it this way you pretty much ruin the map for them.
If you make it so everything is supposed to be done without ctap, its always clear what to do and you dont exclude anyone. Sure some people are gonna cheat, but you cant prevent cheating anyways...

Also...
ctapping is just like any other part of jumping...
No, its a cheat on pretty much every existing jump except for ~10 of them, so it shouldnt become standard...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 07:25:11 AM by QuBA »

Rocketman

I disagree, ctapping is not cheating. It's just another technique just like wall pogo or speedshotting. At any rate, it's too late to change the map at this point to not require ctapping. besides... it's not like this is the first map to require ctapping. jump_aviator has several jumps that you need to ctap to get through for example.

though it is true that there's no way to know if it requires ctapping or not, I just assume people will ctap everything after they manage to test out a jump a few times without and realize they're getting nowhere without it.

Offline  QuBA
Soldier

I disagree, ctapping is not cheating. It's just another technique just like wall pogo or speedshotting. At any rate, it's too late to change the map at this point to not require ctapping. besides... it's not like this is the first map to require ctapping. jump_aviator has several jumps that you need to ctap to get through for example.
Well, ctapping itself isnt cheating, but ctapping on jumps that are intended to be done without is (which are pretty much all jumps). Thats why i dont like this movement of ctap becoming standard on pretty much everything.

And theres only 1 jump on aviator that requires ctapping (where it is really obvious that its intended)...

Soldier

ctap is not cheating it is a technique for people who want to jump perfect but i wont play any map that were needed to ctap...
a really hard technique what needs to be perfect used should never be standard.
most comp players dont know about that technique and a lot of jumpers too.
i have to say that i cant really ctap just luck and a ton of tries to do it..

Offline  QuBA
Soldier

Well, when i say cheating i dont mean it in the sense that you would get banned or that its against the rules, but in a sense that youre making the jump easier for yourself with something that wasnt intended, like !ammo.

Rocketman

I thought you needed to ctap for that 4 rocket left wall and the water triple on aviator... though truthfully I haven't tested those lvls without it.

Since I prioritize speedrunning over everything else, I'm more than willing to ctap any and every jump if it improves my chances of getting a better time, and I assume most other jumpers are the same way. I don't want people to breeze through my map with ctapping, and that alone is my primary logic behind catering the jumps to ctapping.

ctapping is really not hard to do anyways, I don't see what the big deal is. This debate could go on forever so I'll just leave it with this comment.

Offline  QuBA
Soldier

Since I prioritize speedrunning over everything else, I'm more than willing to ctap any and every jump if it improves my chances of getting a better time, and I assume most other jumpers are the same way.
Pretty much no one cares about speedruns...

Soldier

Pretty much no one cares about speedruns...

I see what you did there...

Pages: [1] 2 3
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC